The Exchange Student

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dimidimidimi

The Exchange Student

Post by dimidimidimi »

Hello everyone,

I guess that most of you have already played and enjoyed adventure game classics like The Dig and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Will Eaken was one of the people who worked on the graphics of these games and I would just like to inform you that he has recently created backgrounds for an upcoming point and click cartoon adventure game called The Exchange Student.

You can find more information about the game and the first artwork on the official website. The story of the game follows Emilio Carboni, a 22 y.o. Italian student who has never had a girlfriend in his entire life. His friend Vicenzo just came back from an exchange program in Sweden. Vicenzo was really satisfied with the program since he met a lot of very attractive ladies during his stay in Sweden. Emilio decides to follow his friend's path. He travels to Sweden to spend a semester there, studying in a city of Sweden called Västerås. Fate however is not that kind with Emilio. The game follows the events taking place from the moment that Emilio leaves his house in Italy until he completes his exchange program and returns home.

Last edited by dimidimidimi on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noize

Post by noize »

Looks promising, including the team who are working on it.
Thanks for sharing the information, I appreciate it.
Jan

Re: The Exchange Student

Post by Jan »

dimidimidimi wrote:Hello everyone,

I guess that most of you have already played and enjoyed adventure game classics like The Dig and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Will Eaken was one of the people who worked on the graphics of these games and I would just like to inform you that he has recently created backgrounds for an upcoming point and click cartoon adventure game called The Exchange Student.

You can find more information about the game and the first artwork on the official website. The story of the game follows Emilio Carboni, a 22 y.o. Italian student who has never had a girlfriend in his entire life. His friend Vicenzo just came back from an exchange program in Sweden. Vicenzo was really satisfied with the program since he met a lot of very attractive ladies during his stay in Sweden. Emilio decides to follow his friend's path. He travels to Sweden to spend a semester there, studying in a city of Sweden called Västerås. Fate however is not that kind with Emilio. The game follows the events taking place from the moment that Emilio leaves his house in Italy until he completes his exchange program and returns home.

It's coming out for Mac?!?! You guys definitely rock, thank you! :D 8)
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

I'm happy with adventure games but
- Dont want them to be shorter (a bad trend nowadays)
- Dont want them to be dumbed down (a bad trend nowadays)

Ofcourse also no Action sequences or timed puzzles ;)

Not in the shops means no CD-ROM version? (I'm a Adventure Game collector :)
dimidimidimi

Post by dimidimidimi »

@ noize

Thank you for your interest in the game, I hope it lives up to your expectations

@ Jan

Thanks! Good news is that we will probably also port the game to Pocket PCs.

@ LOGAN

I understand your concern. But as far as the length issue is concerned, it does come down to the budget of a company. To create a 10 hour game with state of the art graphics and audio you need at least $200K . Creating episodic games gives a chance to developers who cannot spend much money on the development to create small but at the same time high-quality games. The profit made by those small games could lead later on to the development of longer games.

I can't rule out the possibility of a CD-rom version, but can't guarantee it either. It depends...if we made a deal with a publisher to release the game in CDs we could most probably go ahead. But I don't know if that will happen or not. And there are no action elements and no timed puzzles either. But the game is a bit on the easy side to be honest. Especially the first episode. We wouldn't want people to get stuck early in the story. Future episodes will be harder (but never illogical).

I am sorry for my late reply to this thread but we were really busy finishing a demo for the press. By the way if someone in here is a member of the press that would be interested in The Exchange Student feel free to contact me ( dimitris at theexchangestudent dot com ) so that we could provide you with a demo.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

This unlikely crossover between Bernard and Larry looks fab already :)

I have to say that, of all Lucas games, The Dig has some of my all-time favorite 2D backgrounds ever. I can't believe Bill is working with you. Did you promise him a free Swedish babe or what?

Good luck for the project!

[Edit] Hold it right there, buddy. Julie Bataille is a famous voiceover actress in France. How did you enlist her and the others? Do they just happen to be huge fans of indie video games?
dimidimidimi

Post by dimidimidimi »

Hello Kaminari, I'm glad you like the graphics. Well when we first started, Bill Tiller was helping me out with some backgrounds. However he did not have too much time to work on TES because of Midway and Autumn Moon Entertainment. So we had to hire someone to take over the main part of the workload. Eaken and Tiller are very good friends so B. Tiller suggested to me that I should work with him.

I made an offer to B. Eaken and after some negotiations we came to an agreement. And this agreement was one of the best things that ever happened to this project. As for the voice over actors...actually many of our voice over actors have worked on prestigious projects before. Irene Tuomainen was the dialect coach for Jennifer Garner for the TV show Alias. Johan Lindqvist was the Swedish voice of Goofy. Lara Parmiani has done dubbing for Italian TV and Cinema for some very popular shows and movies (i.e. Casper, The Shining, Full House, The Perfect Guy etc.)

We had to approach them individually. We talked to them about the project, told them about the potential of the game and of course none of them worked for free. An investment is always necessary in this kind of projects. It is not the same kind of investment that retail games need but it is still a considerable amount of money. Hopefully the adventure game fans will like our game and they will support our project.