Strange whine issue when playing Secret of Monkey Island CD

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sedryn

Strange whine issue when playing Secret of Monkey Island CD

Post by Sedryn »

From reasons unknown, when playing the CD-ROM version of the Secret of Monkey Island I hear a continuous whine while sound is enabled. The whine doesn't overpower the normal background music but it's loud enough to be noticable, it's continuous, and it is affected by increases and reductions in volume (i.e., when I turn up my speaker volume both the music and the whine get louder). This problem doesn't happen with any other games, be they ScummVM games or not. Even non CD-ROM versions of SOMI played through ScummVM work fine.

Initially, I had the audio tracks encoded to FLAC. Suspecting that maybe the FLAC codec compiled in ScummVM v0.9.0 might be flawed I tried ScummVM v0.8.2 and ScummVM v0.7.1 - same problem. I then tried encoding the audio to Ogg Vorbis - same problem.

It's extremely odd that the problem only occurs with the CD-ROM version of SOMI in ScummVM. I listened to the FLAC tracks with WinAMP and the Ogg tracks in Windows Media Player and they both sound flawless when played back outside of ScummVM.

Other games with CD audio, such as Loom and Gobliiins, play without a hitch. The VGA floppy version of SOMI - perfect, no sound issues.

The problem definitely centers around how ScummVM plays back the CD audio for the CD-ROM version of SOMI on my computer.

My general specs (relevent to this problem):

Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz (Northwood)
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Mainboard (Intel 875P Chipset) BIOS v1023
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 SDRAM
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy OEM with latest drivers
Windows XP Professional with SP2 and latest updates

Any idea what could be causing this problem? (My bad luck is stunning. CD-ROM SOMI is the only game I want to play in ScummVM right now and it, of course, happens to be the only game with a problem!)
Last edited by Sedryn on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Just an idea: try replacing some tracks of Goblins with those from Monkey Island and see what gives.
Sedryn

Post by Sedryn »

An interesting suggestion. I tried it and the Gobliiins track played while running SOMI CD-ROM version without the whine noise.

This is truly a strange problem. I listened to the SOMI FLAC track again through WinAMP (track17.flac is the track that plays on SOMI startup) and it still sounds fine through WinAMP. The whine sound is only heard through ScummVM.

Okay, it gets even stranger. I decided to try using track18 in place of track17 (copied track18 as track17) and it sounds perfect. Why on earth would I have this problem with track17 but not track18? It just makes no sense.

EDIT:

Okay, I've determined that if I hit the ESC key to get past the opening scenes to the beginning of the game the whine goes away. So, I guess it isn't a critical issue. Still, it is puzzling nonetheless.