Best Monkey Island Game

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Which Is The Best Monkey Island?

The Secret Of Monkey Island
28%
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
47%
The Curse Of Monkey Island
20%
The Escape From Monkey Island
5%

Total votes: 81

JKing

Post by JKing »

I'll probably always prefer the original. The second I've not really played all that much, actually; and the third, though good, just isn't the same with voice. I've not played 'Escape', however, but judging from others' opinions...
TheUltimateKoala

Post by TheUltimateKoala »

Guess what ? I had a lot of fun playing the 4th opus, even though it was 3D. I am a fervent advocate of 2D point-and-click, but I liked it very much. The Monkey Island spirit tanscended all graphical differences.

I voted fot op. 4 also.
Xenthalon

Post by Xenthalon »

I voted for MI1, since, well, it's what I grew up with and what I love the most. It's followed close by MI2 of course.

Then there is a gap followed by MI3. Even though I enjoyed it, it somehow didn't feel that Monkey-Islandy to me. First of course the voices, but that wasn't that bad. I really didn't like the graphics. I don't think that MI1&2 intended to look like comics, and Guybrush never looked like a Tim Burton character. He had normal proportions, same goes for everything. Still had it's moments though.

Well and then there is a huge gap, followed by MI4. I appreciated that they tried to summ up the best things from MI1-3, but 3D + bad controls + comic style (again) killed it for me.
Dennis1989 wrote:I would like 2D-remakes of MI 1+2 that would be totally cool.
I disagree. I didn't even like the remake of Zak MacKracken even though the FMTown version wasn't that different. Just imagine what could happen to those classic when combined with todays graphics :shock:
hybris

Post by hybris »

2: Lechuck's Revenge.

That ending is nearly impossible to beat.
It also makes the sequals feel kinda .... bleh
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

As a humble new joiner here, I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying BOTH MI I and II, I have owned them for years but something kept me from playing them until recently, and now with the great ScummVM engine, they look fantastic even on my most modern set up. I can't vote yet, but like them both, from peeking, and am amazed at the quality and depth of the storylines. I havent got a copy of MI III yet, but many rave about it. I will hope to see it, I have a search on for it now. Thanks for all the great comments here. Much appreciated. And a great forum!