Which is the best graphics mode to go for?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

trendyninja

Which is the best graphics mode to go for?

Post by trendyninja »

Hi,

I was hoping someone could advise me as to what is the best setup to go for graphically when playing games through ScummVM? There are that many graphics modes and Render Modes I'm a little confused as to which is the best to go for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Which is the best graphics mode to go for?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

trendyninja wrote:I was hoping someone could advise me as to what is the best setup to go for graphically when playing games through ScummVM? There are that many graphics modes and Render Modes I'm a little confused as to which is the best to go for.
My understanding of render modes, which is a feature only supported by some games, is that they essentially tell the game that it's running on a computer that isn't capable of displaying 16 colours, so please degrade the graphics as gracefully as possible. In other words, for the games where they do anything at all, they make the graphics look worse, not better.

As for the scalers, that's a matter of taste. You'll just have to try them and figure out which one you like. My personal preference when running a 320x200 pixel game in windowed mode is to use AdvMame2x and aspect-ratio correction. If I run in fullscreen mode, I don't need aspect-ratio correction to fill the screen. If I run a 640x480 pixel game, I don't need scalers at all.
gord

Post by gord »

generally with scalers you'll prolly want either the Advance scalers or HQ scalers (the higher the scaler size the better quality you will get), the advance scaler doesn't blur image at all, it just finds shapes of single colours (kinda) in the image and produces double (or triple) the detail in the original image. the HQ line of scalers try to find the shapes of objects and then produces larger anti-aliased versions of those objects, it however looks blurryer and less defined imo.

for the later games (COMI, broken swords...) scalers have little to no effect on the overall look of the game.