Sword2 not recognised

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

alexf

Sword2 not recognised

Post by alexf »

I own the Sold Out Software Broken Sword I + II dvd. I installed both games under WinXP and copied the game folders across to Kubuntu Dapper. Using ScummVm 0.8 under Dapper I added the folder for Sword I and it was recognised and is totally playable (I olny checked superficially, but seems fine.) However, the program stated "ScumVm could not find any game in the specified directory" for Sword II.

This is a vanilla install of Sword II, directory structure is as follows:

Code: Select all

.  ..  Broken Sword II.lnk  clusters  Manual.pdf  readme.txt  Saves  scummvm.exe  scummvm.ini  sdl.dll  startup.inf  sword2  Uninstall  urls  Video
contents of clusters:

.   Carib1.clu  Carib3.clu   Credits.bmp  Docks.clu  General.clu  Music1.clu  Paris.clu    Pyramid1.clu  Quaramon.clu  resource.tab  speech1.clu  Text.clu
..  Carib2.clu  Cluster.tab  Credits.clu  Font.clu   Jungle.clu   Music2.clu  Players.clu  Pyramid2.clu  resource.inf  scripts.clu   speech2.clu  Warehous.clu
Directory "saves" is empty.

Contents of sword2:

cd.bin  cd.inf
Contents of Uninstall:

irimg1.jpg  irimg2.jpg  irimg3.jpg  irimg4.jpg  irimg5.jpg  irimg6.jpg  irimg7.jpg  irimg8.jpg  irimg9.jpg  uninstall.dat  uninstall.xml
Contents of urls:

Hints & Tips.url  MAD4Games.url  Mastertronic.url  Other  Sold Out Software Shop.url  Sold Out Software.url
Contents of Video:

carib.mp2   escape.ogg  eye.pal     guard.mp2  intro.ogg   jungle.pal  pablo.mp2    pyramid.ogg  quaram.pal  sailing.mp2  shaman.ogg  stone2.mp2  stone3.ogg
carib.ogg   escape.pal  finale.mp2  guard.ogg  intro.pal   museum.mp2  pablo.ogg    pyramid.pal  river.mp2   sailing.ogg  shaman.pal  stone2.ogg  stone3.pal
carib.pal   eye.mp2     finale.ogg  guard.pal  jungle.mp2  museum.ogg  pablo.pal    quaram.mp2   river.ogg   sailing.pal  stone1.mp2  stone2.pal
escape.mp2  eye.ogg     finale.pal  intro.mp2  jungle.ogg  museum.pal  pyramid.mp2  quaram.ogg   river.pal   shaman.mp2   stone1.pal  stone3.mp2
Running ScummCM 0.8.0 (Ubuntu build).

It recognised Sword I fine, and I tried re-installing the sword II folder in XP and re-copying but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sword2 not recognised

Post by eriktorbjorn »

alexf wrote:However, the program stated "ScumVm could not find any game in the specified directory" for Sword II.
The game detection for Broken Sword II probably (I don't have the time check at the moment) doesn't look inside the clusters directory. I think it expects to find either players.clu or r2ctlns.ocx directly inside the directory you point it to. The latter file is not used by ScummVM, by the way. It's probably just an attempt to recognize the CD of the earlier releases of the game.

So you could try to (at least temporarily) move players.clu to the top-level directory to detect it.

I've heard a rumor that ScummVM 0.9.0 has problems with the startup.inf file shipped with this version. It should be a plain text file with a number on each line (948, 949, 870, 627, etc). But since that file is only used for debugging, you could simply delete it if it's causing problems. The SVN version of ScummVM should be more robust, and simply ignore bad data in this file.
abelthorne

Re: Sword2 not recognised

Post by abelthorne »

alexf wrote:I own the Sold Out Software Broken Sword I + II dvd. I installed both games under WinXP and copied the game folders across to Kubuntu Dapper. Using ScummVm 0.8 under Dapper I added the folder for Sword I and it was recognised and is totally playable (I olny checked superficially, but seems fine.) However, the program stated "ScumVm could not find any game in the specified directory" for Sword II.
Look on the page from the ScummVM website that describes the needed files for each game. Create a directory for the game and put all the needed files directly in it, unless it is mentioned a directory name.

For Broken Sword 2, you should have the following files in your main directory :
- all .clu files
- all .inf files
- all .tab files
- credits.bmp
- music1.clu and music2.clu (renamed music.clu from both CD)
- speech1.clu and speech2.clu (renamed speech.clu from both CD)
- the video folder (reencoded videos that you can download from ScummVM website)

You won't need other files, such as the sword2 executable or the uninstaller.

If you look at the BS1 files, you'll see that ScummVM expects a different directory structure (music and speech directories as they are on the CD, not their content in your main game directory).
alexf

Post by alexf »

Thanks very much for your help.

I just copied the clusters folder and added the .infs and it recognised and seems to run fine. I then dumped in the videos folder and I have all the videos (no need to download).

Since this sold out version was built on ScummVm I didn't need to rename any files either.

It all seems fine now, thanks again.
slake_jones

Post by slake_jones »

I Just got the same sold out copy to day and after fideling (i like to fidle), I noticed it was using ScummVM 0.7.0 so i copied the newer version over the one that came with the game (in case there are any bug fixes) and i got an error message saying Invalid script in object global variables.

Just wondering why it worked with an earlyer version. No problem though I will just move all the files and see if it works for me.

Tom.
Last edited by slake_jones on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slake_jones

Post by slake_jones »

Nope, Did not seem to stop the error message.

Any Ideas?

EDIT: TheConsole window that runs in the background also says Trying to start game 'Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror'
WARNING: Start menu resource 0 invalid!
Invalid Script in object Global Variables
slake_jones

Post by slake_jones »

Fixed it, Forgot to delete Startup.inf :oops:

Cheers anyway.
filipfg

Post by filipfg »

i wont opet new topic

I installed the game under xp, put that folder on my desktop(ubuntu 9.04), then in that folder put all files needed

* *.clu
* *.inf
* *.tab
* credits.bmp
* Rename music.clu on CD1 to music1.clu
* Rename music.clu on CD2 to music2.clu
* Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
* Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu

i checked and everything is in main folder.

but when i open scumm(ver. 0.13.1) and go to add/to that folder, there isnt any file showing to me to be open.

any solutions? should i install with scumm some addons or other files?

Tnx!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

filipfg wrote: but when i open scumm(ver. 0.13.1) and go to add/to that folder, there isnt any file showing to me to be open.
The browser dialog only shows folders, not files, so that's probably working as intended. It's expecting you to select the folder where the files are, not the files themselves.
filipfg

Post by filipfg »

haha oh man where is my brain??

tnx, its working :oops: