scummVM on M600i (UIQ3)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

slemiz

Post by slemiz »

...so if the SDL support is added, what else could be wrong since we cant scroll in our games?
hybris

Post by hybris »

Scroll?
Now I missed something. What do you mean with scroll?

The game scrolls perfectly when scrolling to new backgrounds in for example Monkey Island. Also the onscreen keyboard scrolls when switching to new keys, also the saved gamelist scrolls.

What else?

(I would still express my wishes to utilize the full screen (vertically) for the game, and getting rid of the diagonal bars. Please?)
slemiz

Post by slemiz »

Well you should try Monkey Island 2 with the vertical scrolling scene or Indy 4 with the balloon scene. =)
(Read the earlier posts in this thread...)

Indy 3, Zak and Monkey 1 runs like a charm for me =)
hybris

Post by hybris »

Oh, I just found out what no MP3-support means, since sound is compressed into MP3 in the enhanced version of Loom..... No speech! gah!

Is there a plan for adding MP3 support to ScummVM for UIQ3?
I'm certain M600i can handle MP3, and regular ScummVM for PC can handle it as well, so what's stopping it from being adapted into the UIQ3 port?
slemiz

Post by slemiz »

What do you mean? I have played monkey island with cd-audio on my m600. It is Ogg which isn't supported....
hybris

Post by hybris »

slemiz wrote:What do you mean? I have played monkey island with cd-audio on my m600. It is Ogg which isn't supported....
Check the wiki for ScummVM, they say UIQ3 version of ScummVM doesnt support MP3.
I guess thats why Loom with speech fails. Since its all in one big MP3
banpei

Post by banpei »

slemiz wrote:Well you should try Monkey Island 2 with the vertical scrolling scene or Indy 4 with the balloon scene. =)
(Read the earlier posts in this thread...)

Indy 3, Zak and Monkey 1 runs like a charm for me =)
Found a small solution for some of the vertical scrolling: you just have to keep the jogdial turning to skip the scrolling screne. It worked for me with Monkey Island 2 with both the fishing scene and the Mad Monkey dive. It also worked in Day Of The Tentacle with Hoagie washing the carriage, however it still crashes when Laverne walks to the judges.
slemiz

Post by slemiz »

It doesn't work on indy 4 :(
guilo2

ScummVM for Dummies

Post by guilo2 »

Hi y'all!

Am completely new to this as I just downloaded scummVM for the first time. Got really excited when I found the sort of games that I can play on my m600i but I'm afraid I'm stumped now.

How do I get the games on to the phone? I mean I've downloaded the free games (for a start), unzipped them... copied the files on to the phone (which aren't recognised by the PC to be of any specific format), and where do I go from there? I can't get the games on to the games list because ScummVM isn't able to find any.

Any help at all is much appreciated.

TQ!
slemiz

Post by slemiz »

ScummVM on M600 for dummies (...and Guilo2)

Before you do anything I strongly suggest that you use the latest build from anotherguest: http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/scu ... 3_test.sis
It's a whole lot better than the one found on the scumm homepage. ...anyways...

To get started you first have to add games in the emulator.

Start Scummvm, click "Add game...". You'll probably see something like:
Drive C:
Drive D: (PHONE CARD)
Drize Z: (RomDrive)

Suppose you put your games on your memorystick. Put your marker on "Drive D: (Phone card)" and either tap it 2 or 3 times quite fast or press "ok"-button on keyboard and you'll enter the folder. Then in a similar matter browse to the folder where you put you game. In my case its D:\scumm\monkey1. When your standing in the folder, just click "Choose" on your lower right. A new window displaying game info should open.
If you're like me and want your savegames in same folder as your game, tap the "Paths" tab on the right in the new window. Click "Save Path:" and "Choose" again. Then just "OK" to the lower right. With the newly added game chosen, click "Start" on your lower right and your playing.

From now on you only need to press start when you want to play the game. You dont need to go through the whole process again. But you need to do it for every new game you want to play.

During gameplay you can jog dial down acts as ESC to skip cutscenes, while pushing the jod dial button accesses the game menu. The keyboard keys are mapped as actual keys. So the shortcuts still works as usual! =) ...and in monkey island "." key still skips through conversations.

The lil' button down to the right which looks like two squares, one white, one black chooses which mousebutton tapping the screen emulates. ...and the rest of the buttons printed on the screen are just keyboard mappings. Useful when fighting in indy3 for example, because numberkeys arn't avaliable through the phones keyboard.

Good luck! Ask if something is unclear. I'm kind of tierd right now, so I'm sure I've missed something.... :lol:
guilo2

Post by guilo2 »

Thank you! It's alive!
hybris

Post by hybris »

Great thanks for the "ScummVM on M600 for dummies", Slemiz.

I still wonder why there is no MP3 support in the UIQ3 build though.
I'd love to be able to play Loom with speech for example.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You can use ogg compresstion if you want to compress the monster.sou to a smaller size.

MP3 does n't work, since the MAD decoder crashes when beeing used, so no use to include it. Not sure why it crashes though.
hybris

Post by hybris »

Anotherguest wrote:You can use ogg compresstion if you want to compress the monster.sou to a smaller size.

MP3 does n't work, since the MAD decoder crashes when beeing used, so no use to include it. Not sure why it crashes though.
Too bad.

But I tried to install an ogg compressed version of Loom CD version tonight as well, but still no audio at all.
Is there any specific settings that are needed for it to work properly?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well as for audio tracks you need to rename them right, which is explained in the normal ScummVM readme/FAQ.