Could someone walk a noobie through compressing?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TimmyJ

Could someone walk a noobie through compressing?

Post by TimmyJ »

Currently I want to try and conserve as much space on my PSP's memory stick for obvious reasons and apart from compressing the music fiels to .ogg format there appeared to be no other way to do this, but then I read about compressing the speech.clu files to the ogg vorbis format as well but I have no real idea how I'm supposed to do this.

Whenever I try to run the compress_sword1 tool nothing happens so I was wondering if someone could guide me through the exact steps to take when trying to compress the speech files?

Thanks in advance for any replies =)
clem

Re: Could someone walk a noobie through compressing?

Post by clem »

TimmyJ wrote:Whenever I try to run the compress_sword1 tool nothing happens so I was wondering if someone could guide me through the exact steps to take when trying to compress the speech files?
that's a commandline tool, you have to run it from the command line
it will give you instructions about needed switches etc

and you will need oggenc.exe either in the path or in the same directory
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

I have the speech and the music files readyand the tool recognises them but now it seems to be having trouble actually encoding them. I guess I'm doing something wrong?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Do you get an error message?
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

Yup, it looks to me as though it's trying to use the lame encoder though I can't really be sure
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

If it says "cannot find lame" then you need to find lame.exe.
clem

Post by clem »

lame will enable you to compress it using mp3 compression (which is the default)

I think there's a ocmmand line switch so it does the .ogg conversion you intended to do in your first post, using oggenc.exe instead of lame.exe
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

I don't suppose you have the exact URL of the oggenc.exe download? It's just that when I search for it I get redirected all around the world.

P.S. Thanks for all the help
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

I've decided that I'll just stick to mp3 compression since it's prolly less taxing on my PSP.

What are the exact files that I need to compress Broken Sword? I've got the SPEECH directory, MUSIC directory, compress_sword1.exe and lame.exe but I'm not sure if I've got the necessary .dll files, is there possibly a specific .dll file that I need for this conversion to work properly, since currently I just get the error message saying "Got error from encoder. <check your parameters>" including some numbers and then two files - "tempfile.raw" and "tempfile.mp3"
Pyjamarama

Post by Pyjamarama »

In case you want to check out ogg-compression anyway (after all it's not only good for ScummVM but sounds noticeably better than mp3 for regular music, too): A frequently updated overview of different versions of oggenc can be found at http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html.

Out of these I would recommend the compiled versions that can be found at http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/ as they are optimised for different processors in order to achieve very fast encoding (without sacrificing sound quality). Don't worry that it says oggenc2.exe in the packages. Simply renaming the executable to oggenc.exe will solve this problem.
TimmyJ

Post by TimmyJ »

When I have oggenc.exe in the same folder as compress_sword1.exe and run the latter, it still seems to try and encode using lame.exe instead. Is there a command line to change it to use oggenc instead?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

TimmyJ wrote:When I have oggenc.exe in the same folder as compress_sword1.exe and run the latter, it still seems to try and encode using lame.exe instead. Is there a command line to change it to use oggenc instead?
"compess_sword1 --help" prints a summary of the command-line options. You can probably ignore the "MP3 mode params" and "Vorbis mode params" (the defaults should be sensible enough) and concentate on the four main ones.