Save Game compatability

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raven101

Save Game compatability

Post by raven101 »

I'm sure that I have found either somewhere on the site, or the forums, that there is a possibility that saved games from one version of ScummVM will not work on a later version...is this true? And if so, is there an easy way of finding out which versions are compatible with each other (before deciding to upgrade for example!) [I have looked on the site, but can't immediately find this information...]

Also, while I'm here - on the compatibility page, let's take MI1 as an example, it lists "No known issues, game is completable." so great.....is that not 100%?

Also, on the downloads page, the "README" link gives a 404.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Save Game compatability

Post by LordHoto »

raven101 wrote:I'm sure that I have found either somewhere on the site, or the forums, that there is a possibility that saved games from one version of ScummVM will not work on a later version...is this true? And if so, is there an easy way of finding out which versions are compatible with each other (before deciding to upgrade for example!) [I have looked on the site, but can't immediately find this information...]
In most cases we keep a backward compatibility for save games, so it should work and if it shouldn't work we would state it somewhere.
clem

Re: Save Game compatability

Post by clem »

raven101 wrote:Also, while I'm here - on the compatibility page, let's take MI1 as an example, it lists "No known issues, game is completable." so great.....is that not 100%?
that's a rarely communicated internal project arrangement:

- games where the source code is not available (and which thus have to be reverse engineered) can get a maximum percentage of 95%

- games where the source code is available (BASS, FOTAQ, Broken Sword 1 and 2) can get a maximum percentage of 98%
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

Amusingly, a few of them run better than they did in the original interpreters (even if you ignore the graphics filters and sound modes), but still only get 95%.
clem

Post by clem »

Whomper wrote:Amusingly, a few of them run better than they did in the original interpreters (even if you ignore the graphics filters and sound modes), but still only get 95%.
yeah, if they were 100% they would run just as bad as with the original interpreter :lol:
raven101

Post by raven101 »

Excellent, thank you very much for your responses :)

Is it also the case that (assuming you have an ok middle medium) windows ScummVM save games are compatible with Unix ScummVM save games? (I'm thinking of while running directly on a USB stick, not ntfs so can safely write to it in both!)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

raven101 wrote: Is it also the case that (assuming you have an ok middle medium) windows ScummVM save games are compatible with Unix ScummVM save games?
They should be.