No voice 4 Sam n Max or DOTT

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

congerz83

No voice 4 Sam n Max or DOTT

Post by congerz83 »

Hi guys,

I"m new to the forum. The problem is when I play DOTT or Sam n' Max the voice only works on the cutsceens. Never during gameplay I always get the subtitles w/o any voice at all? Please HELP!
raven101

Post by raven101 »

Hi there,
While I don't know the answer to your question, I suspect that the first thing the clever people are going to ask is - are you using the CD version of these games, or the floppy ones? [equally, I assume this is on PC, rather than a port or anything like that?]
mstrobel

Post by mstrobel »

I'm not sure if this is related to your troubles, but I'm not getting any voice acting on Fate of Atlantis. It is the talkie version, and it works with an older version of ScummVM on my other computer, but it will not work on my MacBook Pro running ScummVM 0.9.0. The voices in other games, like Simon the Sorcerer, work fine. The strange thing is, I think it was working fine before, and then it stopped working. I tried re-copying the files from the CD to make sure nothing was corrupted, but that didn't help.

All of my audio settings are correct (and I've tried all of them to make sure). Any ideas?
congerz83

Post by congerz83 »

It was downloded from lime wire. Fate of Atlantis worked. Mabey im missing one measley file.
clem

Post by clem »

congerz83 wrote:It was downloded from lime wire. Fate of Atlantis worked. Mabey im missing one measley file.
maybe you should buy it (forum rule #0)

moron.
congerz83

Post by congerz83 »

So, dose the fact that you didn't read rule #4 make you a moron or an ***hole? Hmmm.... something to ponder.

4) Be nice to each other and respect the moderator. Profanity and insults will not be tolerated. If you have a problem with another member turn to the respective moderator.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mstrobel wrote:I'm not sure if this is related to your troubles, but I'm not getting any voice acting on Fate of Atlantis. It is the talkie version, and it works with an older version of ScummVM on my other computer,
Strange. The important file to get speech is the monster.sou one, but you say the same set of data files worked on another computer, so that shouldn't be a problem. I assume that you're already checked that other applications are able to play sound on that computer, so I guess that shouldn't be a problem either.

Running ScummVM from a command prompt might provide a clue to what's happening, I guess. Possibly using the -d option to set various debug levels. 3 seems to be the one where it starts telling you which files it's actually opening. (You will also get a number of messages about files not found, but most of them will be quite normal.)
mstrobel

Post by mstrobel »

Thanks for the reply, erik. Here's some debug output from the console, if it helps:

Trying to start game 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis'
Using gameid atlantis, variant (null), extra CD
Using MD5 '182344899c2e2998fca0bebcd82aa81a'
Output sample rate: 22050 Hz
Opening hashed: /Users/mstrobel/ScummVM/Atlantis/ATLANTIS.000
Opening hashed: /Users/mstrobel/ScummVM/Atlantis/ATLANTIS.001
File atlantis.sou not found
File atlantis.sof not found
File atlantis.sog not found
File atlantis.so3 not found
Adding object 933 from room 68 into inventory
Adding object 937 from room 68 into inventory
Adding object 938 from room 68 into inventory
WARNING: loadVOCFromStream: Invalid header!
WARNING: startSfxSound failed to load sound!

EDIT: Weird, if I rename monster.so3 to atlantis.so3, it works. Never had to do that before.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mstrobel wrote: WARNING: loadVOCFromStream: Invalid header!

EDIT: Weird, if I rename monster.so3 to atlantis.so3, it works. Never had to do that before.
It's probably worth noting that while the debug messages you posted show that it couldn't find any "atlantis" sound file, it does not say anything at all about the "monster" sound file. I belive those warning messages can only appear if the sound file has been successfully opened, so that much makes sense.

I'm surprised though that there isn't even an "Opening hashed: ..." message about monster.sou because it would have been interesting to know exactly which file it opened. My theory is that ScummVM opened the wrong monster.sou file - one belonging to another game. That would explain why it worked when you renamed the right file. It looks for "atlantis" before "monster".
crazy_chris

Post by crazy_chris »

I've tryed reading what you guys did from above and i'm lost.. what do i do with the Scumm program to get DOTT to have speech the whole game and not just cutsceens? :roll:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hi!
Actually I found the same thing with some of the demoversions, that the sou file has been named as the game.

As for getting the complete games, without any hickups, I would say. Buy it. :-) Thats simple enough I guess. :-)
clem

Post by clem »

crazy_chris wrote:I've tryed reading what you guys did from above and i'm lost.. what do i do with the Scumm program to get DOTT to have speech the whole game and not just cutsceens? :roll:
I guess you have the disk version. You could buy the CD version.
crazy_chris

Post by crazy_chris »

so there is no way to make my disk stuff work normal? and yes i did buy it soo don't get all high about your self buddy... i got it like 12 or somthing years ago lol :wink: i got my indiana jones game to work without any problems tho... my sam and max game only plays with music.. its been so long i don't remember if they talk in the game or not...
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well the disk version is acting as a normal diskversion. So if you want more speech you have to get the talkie(cd version) of it.
crazy_chris

Post by crazy_chris »

thanks