Broken Sword (DVD Double Pack) on VM 0.9 on firmware 2.71

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

stuffe

Broken Sword (DVD Double Pack) on VM 0.9 on firmware 2.71

Post by stuffe »

I am new to this whole SCUMMVM thing, and to homebrew on my PSP in general. I have recently installed the TIFF exploit that has been very recently released for firmware 2.71 (available from www.noobz.eu) on my PSP, and it works fine. I managed to get the eloader menu up and running fairly easily, and instaled SCUMMVM 0.9. I downloaded the freeware Beneath a Steel Sky and it works great!

As I have just completed Broken Sword 3 on PC, I decided to replay the first 2 games. I have BS 1 on my gameboy, but it has a bug in that if you go to Venice before Ireland (or something like that, it has been a few years!) then you can't complete the game. This bug is only in the gameboy version. Anyway, I bought the BS 1 and 2 DVD edition, with both games on 1 DVD, in the hope that I could play them via SCUMMVM on my PSP. This edition uses SCUMMVM anyway, straight from the DVD, so I was hopeful it would work.

I noticed that the video for both games was already .mp2 in this edition, so haven't downloaded the new compresses cutscene packages, but I did use the compress tools to compress the speech and music .clu files, and the .was files to MP3.

To cut a long story short, SCUMMVM cannot find the BS2 installation on my memory stick, even though it it a straight copy of the working installation on my PC. Also, while it finds BS1, when it runs it I just get a black screen, and have to pop the battery to get anything working.

I'm not sure where the problem may be, in my edition of the game (Screen resolution too high for the PSP? I dunno how the VM handles these things on PSP), or the new firmware exploit not fully up to speed (it does say it has some limitations, but as SJY works, I assume others should?

ANy advice anyone has to offer would be gratefulyl received!

CHeers,
Dan
wololo

Post by wololo »

I started a thread about eloader compatibility, you should have a look at it : http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2456

I think you need scummvm version 0.9.1 instead of 0.9 and it should work for BS1 (I havent tested BS2)
stuffe

Success

Post by stuffe »

I downloaded the 0.9.1 and 0.8.2 versions of SCUMMVM

For reference, I am using Firmware 2.71, EMenu 0.2 and eloader 0.99.

Sword 1 worked fine with 0.9.1, but as it is not yet compiled with LibMPEG I get no cutscenes. I got Sword 2 to be recognised by deleting the startup.inf file, and copying players.clu out of the clusters directory and into the root directory og the game.

Next I tried 0.8.2, this also worked find for both games, but has the benefit of LibMPEG support, so I get cutscenes also!

The only downside, was that the cutscenes were very very choppy, in both games. I tried upping the CPU speed to 333 within EMenu before loading SCUMMVM, but this had no effect (Not even sure if it should). I am now wondering if 0.8.2 is running at 222 or 333, but I am not sure how to tell? Is there any way to speed up the cutscenes? As I got the most recent release which is already SCUMMVM enabled the video was alreay .MP2 - but is this the same framerate etc as the downloadable cutscenes from here? Would there be any difference?

By the way, and I should have included this in my original post, this VM is awesome, and as soon as you get a new payment portal you can count on some beer money from me :)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Broken Sword 1 & 2 cutscenes in the current (MPEG2) form will always be choppy (but theoretically should be less so at 333mhz).
ScummVM 0.10.0SVN has support for an alternative cutscene format (DXA), which should work pretty much flawlessly on PSP (although hasn't been tested yet).

You can probably expect a test build from me sometime in the not too distant future (and of course you are free to build your own), but I'm afraid there currently is no way to get full-speed playback of the cutscenes on PSP with the available versions.

Btw. If it is the PSP port specifically you want to donate to, you can do it directly via my SF.net donation page.
stuffe

Cheers!

Post by stuffe »

Consider it done!