Full Throttle does not work fluently!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DonStefano

Full Throttle does not work fluently!

Post by DonStefano »

Hey everybody!
I`ve got some problems with "Full Throttle"! I have compressed this game with "ScummCompress" v0.7 and there were no problems during this process. After that i`ve copied it onto my Memory Card and started the game.
So, what should I say, it works. BUT the video-sequences are not fluent.

Is this normal?
Or are there any "hidden" preferences"?

I`ve got the Nokia e61!!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Do you seriously believe there is a hidden "run better and faster" preference? Why would we do that, as opposed to, say, just activating it by default? :-) The only thing we do to hide prefs is that we document them in the README (and since nobody ever reads the README, that way it's basically guaranteed nobody discovers them)...

Anyway, most likely guess is that your phone is not fast enough to play those videos when compressed. Try using the uncompressed videos (if you have enough memory for that), they might run better. Or not, now owning a Nokia e61, this is just a well-educated guess.
DeeGee

Post by DeeGee »

Actually you are lucky that Full Throttle works at all. Both Full Throttle and The Dig use video clips that take quite a bit of memory to play. And Symbian phones really don't have loads of memory to spend. My e70 doesn't work with either one (crash after the intro videos), but that might be fixed if I'd go and get a new firmware (the new one should lower memory usage quite a bit).
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Actually memory has always been a large problem with those games, since FT are allocating a 21 mb when in game. So if you don't crash and can play the game you are lucky. A 300 mhz processor would make it more playable. Also running in an unresized mode might also be quicker.
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

Thank you very much for your answers.
But is there any difference between compressed and non-compressed? Is it more fluently if you play the game uncompressed?

Actually I have not the time to test that thing! So it would be very nice if anyone could share his experiences.......
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Should be somewhat faster, since no extra decompressing of the video has to be made, but on the other hand your media might be slower, so decompressing is faster than reading more data from the memory card. So actually. .there are many different factors that affect this.