Cheapest portable device to play ScummVM games on?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

Muncher666 wrote:
cappuchok wrote: Continuing the GP2X line of thought, is there any word on the quality/open-ness of the XGP? The GP2X has reportedly been the subject of some complaints regarding their failure to comply with the GPL and their addition of DRM to the device.
The GP2x has had problems with the third party software developers screwing them around code wise - not to mention the people who make the core they are using are only 98% open about their hardware, they refuse to let out the methods they use to decode Mpeg4 (due to an agreement with DivX Networks) on the second processor the 2x has. Still, every passing day brings us closer to unlocking the second processor's full potential. In short though, the gp2x is now actually fully GPL compliant. As for the DRM stuff, it's not actually DRM - the translation of something about copy protection for the relatively few commercial games the 2x has is what they are talking about, and someone thought it would be a good idea to translate this (ie; from Korean to English) as DRM. And the panic ensued.

Seriously, the 2X is a wonderful little device to play ScummVM on. I highly recommend giving it a go. I honestly have never had any problems with it that go past the niggle stage.

Allan.
Sounds nice, I might give it a go. Too bad though that the screen is only 320x240 so it won't run more recent games like COMI. Oh well, it's cheaper and more open than a PocketPC, anyway. :)
Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

cappuchok wrote: Sounds nice, I might give it a go. Too bad though that the screen is only 320x240 so it won't run more recent games like COMI. Oh well, it's cheaper and more open than a PocketPC, anyway. :)
Not entirely true, Broken Sword 1 and 2 work on it (or at least I remember them working on it) - but COMI needs a bit of work. Still, time can only tell - hardware scalers are MAGIC. :)

Allan.
slake_jones

Post by slake_jones »

Sorry about the late reply, been away. I did mean the 2.71 version of the firmware, it was a typo. I didn't know it is possible to downgrade the firmware, will have to look into it.

Tom.
r6mile

Post by r6mile »

I know this is not exactly about the original topic, but it's related.

I have an old PocketPC, an HP iPAQ 3950 which has a 3.8" TFT 320x240 screen, and I also have a 1 GB SD card.

I was thinking on buying a GP2X which seems very appealing, but do you think I should use the PocketPC instead to play ScummVM games?
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

r6mile wrote:I know this is not exactly about the original topic, but it's related.

I have an old PocketPC, an HP iPAQ 3950 which has a 3.8" TFT 320x240 screen, and I also have a 1 GB SD card.

I was thinking on buying a GP2X which seems very appealing, but do you think I should use the PocketPC instead to play ScummVM games?
I can't give a recommendation as I don't have any of the devices mentioned (yet, anyway) but I would imagine that a PocketPC is more comfortable for point-and-click adventures because of the pen input. On the GP2X you have to make do with a SuperNES-esque controller and mouse emulation. So if ScummVM was my only priority I'd rather run it on a PocketPC. Seeing as you already have the PocketPC, I see no reason not to run ScummVM on it.