Why do some scummvm games have their own F5 menu?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Why do some scummvm games have their own F5 menu?

Post by spookypeanut »

Having played several games in scummvm now, I'm intrigued as to why some have the original in-game load / save menu when you press f5 (e.g. fotaq, bs1, gobliiins), but others have the standard scummvm one (lucasarts ones).

Why is this? Is it down to which games were reverse engineered and which were implemented from source code? While we're on the subject, which games were / are in the process of being reverse engineered? Is it just the scumm ones?
Kaminari

Re: Why do some scummvm games have their own F5 menu?

Post by Kaminari »

spookypeanut wrote:which games were / are in the process of being reverse engineered?
I believe Kyra and Saga-based games, and of course Lure of the Temptress.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

spookypeanut wrote:Having played several games in scummvm now, I'm intrigued as to why some have the original in-game load / save menu when you press f5 (e.g. fotaq, bs1, gobliiins), but others have the standard scummvm one (lucasarts ones).

Why is this? Is it down to which games were reverse engineered and which were implemented from source code? While we're on the subject, which games were / are in the process of being reverse engineered? Is it just the scumm ones?
I only know of scumm engine games to have the standard ScummVM menus.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

LordHoto wrote:I only know of scumm engine games to have the standard ScummVM menus.
OK, now I'm curious. I've played ScummVM games for quite some time now but I never thought about the save game system. Now that someone mentions it: Is there any reason why ScummVM doesn't show the "standard" save/load screen for ScummVM games? I remember those having some nice artwork...

(My guess is that it has something to do with the early times of ScummVM, where it was probably easier to implement a completely new save/load menu than to get those existing screens working right...)
clem

Post by clem »

Dark-Star wrote:I remember those having some nice artwork...
I don't remember any fancy artwork - ScummVM started out with a low-color 320x200 GUI which looked like the savegame menu in Monkey Island 2 as far as I remember, then went to 640x480, then went to the new skinned GUI
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: I don't remember any fancy artwork - ScummVM started out with a low-color 320x200 GUI which looked like the savegame menu in Monkey Island 2 as far as I remember, then went to 640x480, then went to the new skinned GUI
Some of them did. That's why ScummVM doesn't have any good way of showing your score in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (screenshot), for instance. Apart from the early games, The Curse of Monkey Island and many (most? all?) of the Humongous Entertainment games had custom save/load dialogs. Perhaps others, as well, I don't know.

I don't know how well the opcodes needed to implement these save/load screens work. They're probably tricky to get to produce standard ScummVM savegames, and I believe some of them have annoying restrictions, e.g. on how many savegames you can have.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I don't know how well the opcodes needed to implement these save/load screens work. They're probably tricky to get to produce standard ScummVM savegames, and I believe some of them have annoying restrictions, e.g. on how many savegames you can have.
What about using the original graphics but not a really opcode interpreting and some kind of original improved menu instead? Does that is possible, factible and legal?