The better music...?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jamyskis

The better music...?

Post by jamyskis »

I was recently playing Monkey Island 2 using ScummVM and released how poor the music for the DOS version is in comparison to the Amiga version. Is this just because I grew up with it on the Amiga or is this more a popular opinion?

By the way - thank gawd for ScummVM. I lost my MI2 wheel and couldn't get into the game any other way. Still got my MI1 one though. Not to mention the fact that the Indiana Jones FOA copy protection codes are in the manual, which is in PDF form on the disc - hardly very practical. Again, thank you ScummVM team!
Last edited by jamyskis on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Re: The better music...?

Post by clone2727 »

jamyskis wrote:I was recently playing Monkey Island 2 using ScummVM and released how poor the music for the DOS version is in comparison to the Amiga version. Is this just because I grew up with it on the Amiga or is this more a popular opinion?
Although I don't have the Amiga version, I can say that there are three versions of the MI2 music: MT-32, Adlib, and PC Speaker. I normally use Adlib, which isn't bad. I prefer it over PC Speaker.
jamyskis

Post by jamyskis »

Well, this site offers an MP3 download of the Amiga theme tune (just scroll down to Monkey Island 2) for comparison's sake.

I'm just using DOSBox and the aid of a crack (to which I am *not* posting a link, I have a clean conscience because I am using the original game) to make MP3s of the intro song for MT-32, Adlib and the PC speaker. Will get back on this one.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Can't agree less. The Miggy version of MI2 is a sloppy job and the music sucks big time (especially compared to the MT-32). Worse even, it doesn't use iMuse.