Broken Sword 1 BRAZILIAN Cutscene Pack

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

djsouza

Broken Sword 1 BRAZILIAN Cutscene Pack

Post by djsouza »

Hey there! I'm one of the members of the ScummBR translation team and I have the original Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars, brazilian version.

I would like to contribute with the ScummVM team by helping to create a "Brazilian Cutscene Pack" or "Cutscene Add-On" for Broken Sword 1.

Just tell me which are the files that you need in order to create a special brazilian cutscene pack, that I will gladly send you.

Please help us brazilian fans play this awesome game in our language!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Broken Sword 1 BRAZILIAN Cutscene Pack

Post by sev »

djsouza wrote:Just tell me which are the files that you need in order to create a special brazilian cutscene pack, that I will gladly send you.
  • 1. Take any Add-on pack from our downloads page
  • 2. Unpack
  • 3. Command 'dir' or 'ls' (depending on your OS) will show you the list of required files

Eugene
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

OK, then. I uploaded the files on my FileFront account:

The download link is:

http://files.filefront.com/Broken_Sword ... einfo.html

By the way, I assumed you needed the movie files in HIGH resolution from the SMACKSHI folder. Is that right?

Another thing, there were TWO ferrari movie files in the SMACKSHI folder from CD # 2, so I uploaded both of them.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

As I see, you chose path of adding subtitles over original cutscenes. As you may saw, we offer only audio replacement per language, Adding fan translation which abuses this and spend 50M of our sf.net quote seems too much for me, but perhaps other devs have different opinion. Please, let's switch with this discussion to scummvm-devel mailing list.

Eugene
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

It's not a FAN translation at all. The official Broken Sword 1 brazilian version only features brazilian subtitles, it does not have dubbed audio.

So you're saying that you're not interested in creating a brazilian add-on because the game's not dubbed and that would make the add-on a huge file?

Maybe you may tell me HOW I could create one, then?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

No, it's not question of personal interest, but it will be problematic to store such big file on sf.net with quite low number of downloads.

We discussed briefly this topic on #scummvm today. It would be logical to implement similar approach as Sword2 engine uses. I.e. overlay text just like in-game subtitles. In this case Brazillian add-on will consists just of several tiny text files with frame number on when start/stop showing the subtitles.

But it will require additional coding. I highly recommend you to submit a feature request and describe this problem. I.e. that there are built-in subtitles. I think that somebody eventually will implement it.

What you can do is take RAD Game Tools, disassemble SMK files into separate PNG files (just like we do for Feeble Files), see convert_dxa_one.bat file in our tools package in daily build. And after you have bunch of files, write something in this format:

Code: Select all

58 Um tal de Hugues de Payen chegou um dia na corte do Rei de Jerusalem
 80 Ele ofereceu protecao aos....
First number is frame number where the subtitle appears. Empty subtitle means wiping it off the screen.

Create such file for each cutscene with subtitles and attach to your feature request.

Eugene
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote: First number is frame number where the subtitle appears. Empty subtitle means wiping it off the screen.
Not that it matters much, but that's a bit inconsistent with how Broken Sword 2 does it internally. There the "add sequence text" opcode takes three parameters: The ID of the text to display, the frame number where the text first appears, and the frame number where the text disappears.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yeah, read 2 entries at a time and combine them :P

Eugene
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yeah but that wouldn't work... what happens when there's a pause between two dialogs? You can't have subtitles when noone is talking
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:Yeah but that wouldn't work... what happens when there's a pause between two dialogs? You can't have subtitles when noone is talking
I'm not sure which method you mean wouldn't work, but something like this, I guess:

10 How many programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
30 None. It's a hardware problem.
Or like this:

10 20 How many programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
30 40 None. It's a hardware problem.
In both cases, there would be no subtitles between frames 20 and 30.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Oh ok makes sense now :)
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

Thanks everyone for the help!

I'll probably have to ask some of my friends to help me with this sort of thing. Coding is not really my speciality.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

djsouza wrote:Thanks everyone for the help!

I'll probably have to ask some of my friends to help me with this sort of thing. Coding is not really my speciality.
Apparently you misread my message. I'm not talking that you should do the coding. Of course, if a patch will be submitted from outside, that will ease it for us. I was asking about 2 things:
  • Process your brazillian cutscenes and create those textual files with subtitles
  • Submit a feature request on our tracker and attach those files. Also describe the problem, as forum posts are not reliable.
Then we will look into it and perhaps someday somebody will implement it. Taking in account that this task is not very difficult, I guess it will happen sooner than later.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

djsouza, you seem to disappear. Eriktorbjorn already started work on a patch to provide support for external cutscene subtitles in BS1. You may find the details here. However, without your support there is no way I can continue work on this patch.

What I need is the subtitles. I could try to extract them from the files you provided, but (a) I don't know Portuguese, so it will take more time (b) I don't have proper keyboard layout and (c) I'd better do what I do well, i.e. coding. So it would be really nice if you would create those text files.

I.e. I need them in a format described above:

20 Subtitle goes here
32 Another subtitle goes
20 and 32 are frame numbers where some particular subtitle appears first, and 30 and 54 are frame numbers where they appear last.

Thus, after getting these files from you (please, attach them to the patch tracker item mentioned above), I'll finish and commit the patch, and then I'll need you for testing.

I hope that we together will be able to resolve this issue and implement the feature.

After that we will have Sword1_Addon_BR.zip file, which will be just couple of kilobytes, but will add proper subtitles to our generic reencoded subtitles.

Eugene
djsouza

Post by djsouza »

Thanks for contacting me, I will work on that as soon as possible.