tentacle the of day the

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Don Quijote

tentacle the of day the

Post by Don Quijote »

First I must say that I am noobie, I don't use scummvm tool too much. I remember using it once when I complete Secret of Monkey Island.

now I wanted to run cd-version of day of the tentacle on my windows xp. first i tried to run it without any tools in normal way, from cd. I had problems with speech, people started speaking and in few seconds stop and don't speak anymore. bird in intro also wasn't singing.

then I tried to do it like it is written here
http://www.mcwalter.org/tentacle/xp/.
I did it twice, but the game wasn't running properly, it hanged when the fish (in the intro) was going to jump from the water, with any hope to run again (even pressing "." key).

then I downloaded scummvm tool and okay it is running good, no hanging, people are speaking all the time, but bird wasn't singing. I read on this forum that I should set Windows - MIDI driver, and yes bird is singing now. but when I run again the game in DOS mode I noticed that music isn't complete when I run game in scummvm. I can't hear the loudest part of it (in intro) - the guitar and drums. I tried many configuration, but it still doesn't work. can you tell me how to run this game with all sounds and whole music. I have soundblaster audigy 2 audio card if it matters.

I have one more question. I am now playing monkey island 2 from cd version (on wich monkey island 1 is included) Name of this CD is MNKY_TWN. I run MI2 through scummvm and I noticed that I can choose difficulty at start (when I ran it directly through CD i couldn't) and I also hear more music than before. I started to think that maybein this game I also don't hear all audio effects I could hear. and how I can use my MI2 save files in scumm.

So tell me if I somehow hear all effects that are included in this games. I can even install Windows 98 if it is necessary, but is there anyway to do it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: tentacle the of day the

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Don Quijote wrote:I can't hear the loudest part of it (in intro) - the guitar and drums. I tried many configuration, but it still doesn't work. can you tell me how to run this game with all sounds and whole music. I have soundblaster audigy 2 audio card if it matters.
I'm not sure I know which part of the intro you mean. The brief scene with Hoagie, when the Chron-O-Johns break down, perhaps, though I hear music there.
Don Quijote wrote:I have one more question. I am now playing monkey island 2 from cd version (on wich monkey island 1 is included) Name of this CD is MNKY_TWN. I run MI2 through scummvm and I noticed that I can choose difficulty at start (when I ran it directly through CD i couldn't) and I also hear more music than before. I started to think that maybein this game I also don't hear all audio effects I could hear. and how I can use my MI2 save files in scumm.
Monkey Island 2 has relatively few sound effects, and a few of them are only present as Adlib sounds, not MIDI. If you're using the Windows MIDI sound driver, you may want to make sure the "Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode" setting is enabled. (Personally, I prefer the Adlib sound driver for Monkey Island 2, but opinions differ. A lot.)
Don Quijote

Post by Don Quijote »

this part when the game is running, fish is jumping from the water and bird is flying and then coughing and falling. thanks for monkey island help i'll try both settings and decide wich sounds better.
Zakk

Post by Zakk »

You need ScummVM 9.0, then download it to ScummVM. After that, try pressing options on DOTT(Day of the Tentacle) and go to Audio. Press the button that says SPEECH ONLY-SPEECH AND SUBTITLES-or SUBTITLES ONLY. Make say SPEECH ONLY. Set audio format to DEFAULT. Try that :wink:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Uhm, he said he had problems with speech with the original game interpreter, not ScummVM. He was experiencing music problems in Scummvm which he seemed to have solved
sesinm24

Post by sesinm24 »

i need a lot of help. i have skummvm. i dont know how to upload games offline though. i downloaded day of the tentacles off sites and limewire. i start it up and it works, until the very first scene with a frog. it just freezes and hangs there. do i need a hard copy to play? is there any way to get it offline?
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

sesinm24 wrote:i need a lot of help. i have skummvm. i dont know how to upload games offline though. i downloaded day of the tentacles off sites and limewire. i start it up and it works, until the very first scene with a frog. it just freezes and hangs there.
:arrow: Forum Rule #0

sesinm24 wrote:do i need a hard copy to play? is there any way to get it offline?
Yes. Buy it from ebay! :idea:
sesinm24

Post by sesinm24 »

OK. i bought the disk. i am running DOTT but the sound is not quite there. its choppy and when it finally works it sounds horrible. any tips on how to fix it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sesinm24 wrote:OK. i bought the disk. i am running DOTT but the sound is not quite there. its choppy and when it finally works it sounds horrible. any tips on how to fix it?
"Sounds horrible" is a rather vague description, and we don't even know what operating system you're running ScummVM on.

The ScummVM FAQ does mention that some people have reported sound problems under Windows, but since I'm not a Windows user I can neither confirm nor deny that.

If it's just the music, it might make a difference if you've set the music driver to Adlib or the native MIDI driver for your operating system. Depending on operating system, the native MIDI driver may be called Windows MIDI, or ALSA or something else.
liamfrench

Similar problems

Post by liamfrench »

I am having similar problems with sound, during the game they do not speak, i only get subtitles. I have changed the options to speech only but this makes no difference, can anyone help?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Similar problems

Post by eriktorbjorn »

liamfrench wrote:I am having similar problems with sound, during the game they do not speak, i only get subtitles. I have changed the options to speech only but this makes no difference, can anyone help?
It could mean that you forgot to copy the monster.sou file from your CD. That assumes you copied the files to hard disk, rather than playing directly from the CD, of course.

It could also mean that you have the floppy version, which supposedly only has speech for the intro, not for the rest of the game.

Or it could mean something else entirely.
liamfrench

Re: Similar problems

Post by liamfrench »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
liamfrench wrote:I am having similar problems with sound, during the game they do not speak, i only get subtitles. I have changed the options to speech only but this makes no difference, can anyone help?
It could mean that you forgot to copy the monster.sou file from your CD. That assumes you copied the files to hard disk, rather than playing directly from the CD, of course.

It could also mean that you have the floppy version, which supposedly only has speech for the intro, not for the rest of the game.

Or it could mean something else entirely.

Well i don't have the original disk with me at the minute so i downloaded a version, but i'm pretty sure i downloaded the one with speech as there was another without, but i'll check that.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You seem to disregard all the previous messages concerning piracy don't you?

There is NO support offered for illegally obtained games
liamfrench

Post by liamfrench »

Yeah it turns out i downloaded the floppy disk version, and the same for Sam and Max, oh well i'll have to wait to get thr CD's back, not as good otherwise, (and in reply to MD5 its not like im downloading a brand new game, but you're probably right, George Lucas must be losing all that money from people downloading Day of the tentacle..... :roll: )
clem

Post by clem »

liamfrench wrote:Yeah it turns out i downloaded the floppy disk version, and the same for Sam and Max, oh well i'll have to wait to get thr CD's back, not as good otherwise, (and in reply to MD5 its not like im downloading a brand new game, but you're probably right, George Lucas must be losing all that money from people downloading Day of the tentacle..... :roll: )
sometimes I really wish I was a forum mod...