As foretold by The Prophecy

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

As foretold by The Prophecy

Post by DrMcCoy »

As some of you may already be aware of, the engines of Gobliins 2 and Ween: The Prophecy share a lot of code. The differences have now been taken care of and we therefore add it to the list of our supported games. As always, we'd like you, our users, to report any still existing bugs.

You know the procedure: Grab your copy of Ween: The Prophecy and a daily build of ScummVM, read the bug submission guidelines, find the bugs and place them in the REVUSS (our bug tracker).

...and thus will the bugs be wiped out...
fac

Re: As foretold by The Prophecy

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:
You know the procedure: Grab your copy of Ween: The Prophecy and a daily build of ScummVM, read the bug submission guidelines, find the bugs and place them in the REVUSS (our bug tracker).

...and thus will the bugs be wiped out...
Is the demo also supported? I have last SVN and can't start it. This is the message i get:
ScummVM Output wrote:Looking for gob

Trying to start game 'Gob engine game'
WARNING: GOB2 Stub! _word_2E8E2, _word_2E51F, _off_2E51B, _off_2E517!
WARNING: GOB2 Stub! _byte_2FC82, _byte_2FC83, _word_2FC80!
WARNING: GOB2 Stub! _byte_2FC9B, _dword_2F2B6!
WARNING: GOB2 Stub! _word_2F9C0, _word_2F9BE, _word_2F9BC, _word_2F9BA, _dword_2
F9B6, _dword_2F9B2!
WARNING: STUB: Video::initDriver!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I have just completed Ween and had absolutely no issues. Not only have the graphics bug in the intro been fixed, but both the graphics and sound somehow seem better. Great job. Just out of curiosity I tried loading the Incas and Lost in Time. They are all identified as Gob engines, but close on launch. I didn't really expect much more at this time. I can wait.
fac

Post by fac »

Collector wrote: Just out of curiosity I tried loading the Incas and Lost in Time. They are all identified as Gob engines, but close on launch. I didn't really expect much more at this time. I can wait.
The demos/games that already show something with Gob engine are:

-Goblins 3
-Bargon Attack
-Fascination (http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=2507)

Until now i wasn't able to start Lost in Time (demo), but maybe it's the same engine. And Inca may use another engine for the "action" levels, so it may not be 100% supported by gob engine.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: As foretold by The Prophecy

Post by DrMcCoy »

fac wrote:Is the demo also supported? I have last SVN and can't start it.
Try again with the latest SVN version / next daily build, it should be fixed now. If it still doesn't work, please open a bug report.
Collector wrote:I have just completed Ween and had absolutely no issues.
:)
Collector wrote:Just out of curiosity I tried loading the Incas and Lost in Time. They are all identified as Gob engines, but close on launch.
Well, my current plan would be Bargon Attack, cleanup, then straight to Gob3. From what I know, Lost and Inca are too different, they'd have to wait.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hm, can somebody tell me where I get these demos, e.g. the demo of Ween? Is it downloadable somewhere?
Collector

Post by Collector »

I would be interested in any and all Coktel Vision demos myself. The only ones that I have are the Incas.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:Hm, can somebody tell me where I get these demos, e.g. the demo of Ween? Is it downloadable somewhere?
The Sierra Originals release of Gobliiins plus Gobliins 2 includes a couple of demos, including one for Ween.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Here are links to the demos taken from the Goblins 1/2 CD re-release...

Gobliins 2 1MB
Goblins 3 1.3MB
Inca2 0.6MB
Ween 2.2MB

I just zipped the folder as it was on the CD so there'll be extra files not required for ScummVM but may be useful when comparing DOS/DOSBox with ScummVM.

Please note that the server can be fairly slow to download from and the links will most likely not be permanent... Unfortunately I cannot get to my domain hosting package as it's a shared server with some major issues this evening :(
Collector

Post by Collector »

I just tried the Ween demo posted by the kindness of Reckless. ScummVM crashes on launch. It runs without issue in DOSBox.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Collector wrote:I just tried the Ween demo posted by the kindness of Reckless. ScummVM crashes on launch. It runs without issue in DOSBox.
Hmm, it works here. Are you using the latest SVN version / daily build?
If you are, please open a bug report and define "crashes on launch".
Collector

Post by Collector »

Sorry, but it crashes and closes before I can read the information in the console window. I suppose that I could try to get a screen capture of the console. The version I was using was the one that I was able to play the full version with. It is no more than 2-3 days old. I'll give the newest SVN a try later on after work.
clem

Post by clem »

Collector wrote:Sorry, but it crashes and closes before I can read the information in the console window.
I think FAQ entry 5.6 applies: http://www.scummvm.org/faq.php#AEN188

clem
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Collector wrote:The version I was using was the one that I was able to play the full version with. It is no more than 2-3 days old. I'll give the newest SVN a try later on after work.
The fix for the demo is younger than that. :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Collector wrote:I have just completed Ween and had absolutely no issues.
May you help us and submit several interesting screenshots? I suppose you may have several savegames. The screenshot submission guidelines could be found here.

Eugene