LucasArts Classics Re-releases

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Firaga wrote:I think, LA should sell the games online, and let you download them after you pay with Credit Card and such. I know there is a company that does that.
Very few people looking to play these old games want a downloaded copy, imho. I personally buy games to have the printed materials, cd cases, everything that lends to the nostalgia of the games.

Besides - they alreayd have a hard enough time slapping suits on all the sites out there already offering downloadable copies of the games - offering it themselves just makes it easier.

BOOO to buying game downloads.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

exofreeze wrote:
Firaga wrote:I think, LA should sell the games online, and let you download them after you pay with Credit Card and such. I know there is a company that does that.
Very few people looking to play these old games want a downloaded copy, imho. I personally buy games to have the printed materials, cd cases, everything that lends to the nostalgia of the games.

Besides - they alreayd have a hard enough time slapping suits on all the sites out there already offering downloadable copies of the games - offering it themselves just makes it easier.

BOOO to buying game downloads.
I totally agree. There are many companies selling game downloads, such as GameTap, but many of them are only available to US/Canada residents, and that really limits their usability.
Telltale sells the new Sam & Max games as downloads, but if you buy the full season in advance, you get the option of recieving a physical copy for only the shipping costs, when the season is complete. That's sort of nice and might just compel me to buy those games, something I would definitely NOT do if they were only available as downloads (as much as I enjoyed the old Sam & Max game).
exofreeze
Banned

Post by exofreeze »

Im going to wait on the sam and max stuff until I see what the end version looks like. I'm worried it will be a very cheap production along the lines of the recent vivendi sierra compilations.

Whats the point of getting Sam and Max's new episodes on CD if it's in a paper sleeve and that's all you get.

I seem to spend a lot of time these days having to create high quality dvd covers for the mass of games released in paper sleeves. It's really dissapointing.
earth_dragon4

Post by earth_dragon4 »

can any one tell me if i can download those classic games from this site and if yes how?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Forum Rule 0

You can only download FOTAQ and BASS as freeware
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

Don't forget there's also a page with links to various demos:

http://www.scummvm.org/demos.php
TribeHasSpoken

Post by TribeHasSpoken »

Does anyone know if the re-release of Sam & Max Hit The Road includes the bonus CD audio tracks? The version of the game that I have does not have the bonus tracks (it includes Day of the Tentacle and a demo of Grim Fandango on the same disc, so there's obviously no room for the music), and I thought it might be worth buying.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

TribeHasSpoken wrote:Does anyone know if the re-release of Sam & Max Hit The Road includes the bonus CD audio tracks?
The DOS and Windows version of the game, along with the CD audio tracks are included.
raina

Post by raina »

Quickly scanning this thread tells me these Lucas Classic re-releases come with a new interpreter for Windows but I guess I'm looking for a simple yes/no on whether the resource files are in their original form so that they work with ScummVM.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

clone2727 wrote:
TribeHasSpoken wrote:Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig were just rereleased in Australia for $9.95 Australian each. I have no idea if they come with ScummVM or DosBox.
They come with their own interpreter, I believe, like the ones rereleased in the UK.
Yes, it's likely they come with SCUMM v2.0, an updated Windows build of the SCUMM interpreter, made by MAME guru Aaron Giles who also used to be the Mac guru of LucasArts. Nowadays he works at Connectix (or Microsoft, since they own Connectix).
However, the re-release of "The Dig" has an older Windows-based interpreter (not 2.0) that does not support proper aspect ratio scaling (so 320x200 which should be 4:3 on older graphics cards in DOS, is scaled to 640x400 which on a square-pixel display results in a vertically squashed image). The SCUMM v2.0 interpreter used on the other two re-releases mentioned here, uses a proper aspect-ratio corrected scaling which is also used on the Mac versions.

But to answer your question: yes, the resource files are perfectly compatible with ScummVM.
raina

Post by raina »

Thanks. I'm not as much interested in the bundled interpreters as I am in compatibility. Well, maybe a little still. It would make sense if the bundled engines would be cross-compatible and interchangeable but they probably are fixed to the set of resources of each release. If they weren't though, couldn't you use the more recent version with The Dig resources to circumvent the aspect ratio problem? Anyway it's all a bit irrelevant thanks to ScummVM. And if ScummVM didn't exist -- god forbid -- you could stretch the image with display controls, another point for CRTs. :)

BTW, SCUMM v2.0? That sounds a bit misleading when the latest SCUMM games seem to run on SCUMM engine versions 7 or 8. Oh, well.
clem

Post by clem »

raina wrote:Thanks. I'm not as much interested in the bundled interpreters as I am in compatibility. Well, maybe a little still. It would make sense if the bundled engines would be cross-compatible and interchangeable but they probably are fixed to the set of resources of each release. If they weren't though, couldn't you use the more recent version with The Dig resources to circumvent the aspect ratio problem? Anyway it's all a bit irrelevant thanks to ScummVM. And if ScummVM didn't exist -- god forbid -- you could stretch the image with display controls, another point for CRTs. :)

BTW, SCUMM v2.0? That sounds a bit misleading when the latest SCUMM games seem to run on SCUMM engine versions 7 or 8. Oh, well.
afaik the resource files are identical.
aspect ratio correction is done in the engine (just like in ScummVM)

see Aaron's remarks on it here: http://www.aarongiles.com/scumm/index.html

edit: also these re-releases are now around for a fairly long time, I guess if they weren't compatible with ScummVM someone would have shouted already :)
raina

Post by raina »

clem wrote: edit: also these re-releases are now around for a fairly long time, I guess if they weren't compatible with ScummVM someone would have shouted already :)
Yeah, it's weird but I somehow thought this thread was much more recent. I was thinking this was discussed only last week or the week before and it wasn't until I had posted already when I noticed it's been over 6 months. I think I may have stumbled upon the thread while using the forum search for something or other..
clem

Post by clem »

raina wrote: Yeah, it's weird but I somehow thought this thread was much more recent. I was thinking this was discussed only last week or the week before and it wasn't until I had posted already when I noticed it's been over 6 months. I think I may have stumbled upon the thread while using the forum search for something or other..
this thread also discusses the re-releases and is more recent