anyone knows blue force

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

travispsp

anyone knows blue force

Post by travispsp »

hello!
i´m very new here, so please don´t be angry with me if i ask some bad questions and beside that - sorry for my bad english :?
i tested the scumm application on my psp and at first i have to thank you, because iam able to play the dig on my psp now. so far, this app is really great work and i also will try to play some old adventures like monkey island. you know.. playing the old dos games on the psp is really grat i think! i also have other old dos games like blue force or... does anyone remember the old police quest games?! yeah... i know... they are really old, but i like them so i would like to know if there is any way to get them working on my psp. i got the dig to running because this game is in the compatibility list i guess, but what about blue force? this game is not in the list and as i tryed to get it to work, the app only says that : scummvm could not find any game in the specified directory. so is there any way to get this game running or... do i have to wait until a kind of patch or something is availaible? sorry for the word "patch", it´s because of my bad english and i don´t know how to describe it in another way. the fact is : i have the original games here and try to get them working on my psp. is there anything i can do? i hope anyone can help me out.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Recently, the ScummVM project assimilated the Sarien project. That means the development version of ScummVM can play Sierra-On-Line's old AGI games, which includes the EGA version of Police Quest I. The VGA remake, along with PoliceQuest II through IV used the newer SCI engine, which is not supported by ScummVM.

A "patch" to support Blue Force would probably mean an entirely new game engine, and the chances of that are slim. New engines are being added, but we're not able to pick and choose which ones.

I don't know how much of the rest of this is relevant to the PSP, but...

The FreeSCI project supposedly supports Police Quest II, but not yet any of the others, I believe.

A general-purpose emulator like DOSbox is able to run a lot more different programs than ScummVM ever will. Of course, it does so at the cost of being a lot slower since it has to emulate an entire computer.
jak66

Post by jak66 »

There has been a dosbox port to psp, I've never used it though. People say it runs awfully slow.
travispsp

Post by travispsp »

hmm... thank you 2 ! your answer was very quick! but there is a thing i cannot understand. sure, i don´t tryed it, because i don´t own the game : but there is The Curse of Monkey Island in the compatibility list! does this game really work? and if it works... is this not vga ?! thought so, cause it looks ... good for me!
clem

Post by clem »

travispsp wrote:but there is The Curse of Monkey Island in the compatibility list! does this game really work? and if it works... is this not vga ?! thought so, cause it looks ... good for me!
VGA in that aspect refers to the video mode only, ie 256 colors instead of the 16 in EGA mode; the underlying game/game engine is completely different though

Curse of Monkey Island is based on the SCUMM engine, hence it is generally supported by ScummVM.