screen brightness problem on E62

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pawelm

screen brightness problem on E62

Post by pawelm »

When I run scummVM 0.9.1, also the SVN versions, the screen goes dark. You still can see what is happening but you need to be in a dark room. Also the "mouse" cursor disappears but only in scummVM interface not in the game.

E62 is a cheaper version of E61. In theory they should behave same. I didn't find anyone posting anything on E62. Any clues? If someone knows what part of the scummVM code might be responsible for turning off brightness please write.

Thanks
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Sounds like a battery saving mechanism that is dimming your screen. Have you checked your power settings? Its not possible to keep the screen alive unless you press a key, i.e intros etc will fade out (screen backlight), until you press a key. How this work might vary from phone to phone I think.
pawelm

Post by pawelm »

I've tried to set battery savings to minimum (longest possible time when dimmed) and it doesn't work. Somehow scummVM turns off the back light and nothing can be done about it. As soon as some other application is turned on or triggered (e.g. message that battery is low) then the back light is on but just after the scummVM is back from the "background" the back light is turned off again.

Is it really only E62?
QuantoSolo

Post by QuantoSolo »

With the backlight problem you could try to use the S60 program torch (Link: http://my-symbian.com/s60/software/appl ... o=11&faq=2) in the background. I use it to prevent the backlight from turning off while playing games with times of inactivity.
pawelm

Post by pawelm »

I've downloaded S60SpotOn. It works great but doesn't win with ScummVM. Maybe it's something in BASS. Every other change of the game screen the backlight is off. So e.g. if my character in the game is talking with someone the backlight goes on and off during the conversation if you know what I mean.

It's better anyway. Thanks.
hetecro

Post by hetecro »

The solution is annoying, but simple... although the backlight will go off after the phone's set-up timer, but to turn on the backlight on any Nokia phone running s60 v3, you have to open ScummVM, hit the red "end call" button, and then re-enter scummvm. Now you can see it, very bright, just right, in any light.