P990, Sam'n'Max problem: giant ball of string cutscene

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lemmin

P990, Sam'n'Max problem: giant ball of string cutscene

Post by Lemmin »

Hi, I've got a P990 (latest generic world 1 firmware) running latest version of scummvm from this site, and the CD version of Sam N Max.

It all works fine so far, except when I go to the giant ball of string, go up the "tram" and get to the top. Theres a short cutscene that show the end of the giant ball of string, and then it crashes, every time. I've tried doing other parts of the game, and they all work, its just that when I come back to that part it crashes.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'd love to be able to play the rest of this game, but its impossible without the ball of string..

On an unrelated note, the sound is delayed by about half a second. Its not a major issue, just noticeable.

LEM
clem

Post by clem »

probably another instance of the infamous scrolling bug?
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... scroll+bug

which version is "latest version of scummvm from this site"? (deixis is a beautiful concept ;) )
Lemmin

Post by Lemmin »

0.9.1 UIQ3 apparently.

Sorry, I was too lazy to boot up the laptop and look :)

Seems to be the same version the download page at http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php is dishing out. Is there another/beta version somewhere?

I did have another one which is labeled 060503-SymbianUIQ3 on the file - this one refused to even run on my P990 though.

LEM
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You can try the version I built to day from here
http://anotherguest.k0.se/cvsbuilds/
Lemmin

Post by Lemmin »

Thanks AnotherGuest! I don't know how you do some much programming, you have to be one of the most prolific UIQ programmers...

Anyway, tried this new version. It doesn't read the old savegame files (says "invalid savegame") so I played through to the ball of string, and the good news is the program doesn't crash, and I can get past the cutscene. It does look like a vertical scrolling problem as clem suggested.

Bad news (not too bad though) is that the cutscene doesn't work perfectly - its obviously doing some vertical scrolling, but only the top 10 pixels or so are updating in a nice thin line, the rest stays the same until the scrolling stops, then the screen updates.

Still, I'm a happy Lemmin since I can play on a bit more!

Thanks for your help

LEM
goetz

070228 build on E60

Post by goetz »

Well, some short feedback about the scummvm-070228-SymbianS60v3_all.sis build on my E60:
  • I can install and start it, add games. I tried to run Sam&Max and it seems to work. Drawbacks are:

Skip key # does not work in title cut scenes of Sam&Max (German), although assigned correctly. Is this intended? In older ScummVM build I could skip the three title scenes with #.

Switch to other keyboard modes (0+1) crashes the program (same like in Duke3D).

Savegames do not show up after selecting the correct dir.
Maybe for running this game at the high resolution of 416x352 is just to memory consuming for this device ...

I think I will keep my favourite scummvm-060917-SymbianS60v3_scumm.sis build, since I see no reason why I shouldn't. It works nicely and I just finished Monkey1 and Zak McKrakken (even the scene where you have to grab the white crystal using the zone key :D ) and am in the middle of Sam&Max somewhere. ScummVM and especially that Symbian S60 3rd port is a great program -- thanks a lot! :)

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

1. Not sure why 0+1 crashes SDL, works for S60v2 which is using the same code.
2. Save games has CHANGED since last SVN version. So previous compressed save games wont work, and uncompressed games from PC should work. All games on device is compressed (using gzip + custom header). So old device save games wont work.
3. This version brings support for AGI games, so these games should be playable on both UIQ3 and S60v3 devices. use this version if you want to play AGi
4. Streaming OGG and MP3 do not work, this has been deliberatly been broken inside scummvm to cleanup the code, and now I need to create my own version for the filehandling.
5. Keymapping might have changed, since I have been doing some serious updates to the SDL backend. I will checkthat.