MI2 and FoA Music in FM Towns

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Great Hierophant

MI2 and FoA Music in FM Towns

Post by Great Hierophant »

These FM Towns versions do not use CD Audio Tracks, yet I hear Adlib music when I play them in scummvm. Does scummvm support the FM-Towns FM synthesis? Unz outputs sound in these two games different and quite inferior to the Adlib sound I hear in scummvm. I believe that in these ports, LucasArts used the Adlib data and a driver/code to roughly convert it to the FM-Towns FM synthesizer.

If scummvm does not support FM-Towns FM Synthesis, then I would request it be added as a feature. It would not be a difficult request to fulfill as there are good YM-2612 cores in Genesis emulators. I think it would be important to show people that there were plusses and minuses to each version.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Did you change the music options to FM-Towns?
Great Hierophant

First thing I tried, but they still sound like an Adlib.
Great Hierophant

Does SCUMMVM support 6 channel 4 OP FM Synthesis YM-2612 music with the FM-Towns driver or does it only emulate the 8-PCM voice Ricoh RF5C68?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The towns driver emulates a YM-2612
Great Hierophant

Shouldn't the selection be the YM-2612 by default on those two games? I sincerely doubt that it sounds exactly the same as on an Adlib. On Unz it sounds quite different. Selecting the FM Towns audio driver should utilize the YM-2612, but does it?