The Settlers

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vicious

The Settlers

Post by Vicious »

Is any posible to play Settlers on ScummVm Symbian Port in future ? It's my dream to have this game on my N-Gage :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: The Settlers

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vicious wrote:Is any posible to play Settlers on ScummVm Symbian Port in future ? It's my dream to have this game on my N-Gage :)
From what I understand, The Settlers is an RTS game rather than a point-and-click adventure, which means it's outside the scope of ScummVM.
Vicious

Post by Vicious »

I know but I think ScummVm could be the good emulator of other games not only point'n'click adventure games ;) . Maybe I don't know...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vicious wrote:I know but I think ScummVm could be the good emulator of other games not only point'n'click adventure games ;) . Maybe I don't know...
Unlikely. ScummVM is not so much an emulator as a collection of game engines, each handling a family of games or, in some cases, a single game. They do share a common infrastructure for drawing graphics, playing sound, etc. but are otherwise completely independent of each other.

A source code for a single game engine consists of thousands, maybe tens of thousands of lines of text.

If sounds like what you want is a general-purpose DOS emulator like DOSbox, but I don't know if it runs on hand-held computers.
pawelm

Post by pawelm »

I was looking to play HoMM 2 on Symbian but I don't think it is possible to compile DOS under ARM (DOS is designed for PC family CPU)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

DOS... you can't compile MS DOS or PC DOS because you don't have the source code (and because it contains intel assembler), aye.

But that's not the point here, Torbjörn was referring to DosBox, a very portable program which emulates a DOS environment, on any hardware out there (e.g. it works just fine on my PowerPC Macintosh).

Though an ARM processor with only a couple hundred Mhz is likely far too slow to run HoMM 2 in DosBox at adequate speed.