Problem with Sam & Max on my 6680 - EDIT: SOLVED! :)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dimebog

Problem with Sam & Max on my 6680 - EDIT: SOLVED! :)

Post by Dimebog »

I have a problem with Sam & Max on my Nokia 6680. I tried ScummVM versions 1 and 2 (version 3 reports a corrupted file), and the problem is still there: whenever a scripted sequence is finished, the game freezes and thats it - I can't even exit. If I would skip the intro part that goes on in the office, game will not freeze, but then again there is a scripted sequence that goes on in front of Flynt's office and each and every time when Max says "... don't use the word 'acumen' again." the game will freeze. Allways at the same spot. I figured that it might have something to do with autosaves, since they occur at the end of evey animation, but altering the .ini file didn't help me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

By the way, I used to run the game perfectly before when I had only 64 Mb memory card. Now I'm running it on a 512 one.

Help me please!
Last edited by Dimebog on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

You phone is a S60v2 phone, and thus you should run the V2 version.

Can be that the 512 mb memorycard is slower than your 64 mb card.

Also which version of scummvm are you running? (v10svn or .9.1 or .9.0)
Dimebog

Post by Dimebog »

scummvm-0.9.0-s60-v1 and scummvm-0.9.0-s60-v2 are the only two I could find and I tried with both.

Maybe this mem card is slower but I didn't know it could cause this kind of freeze. Is there any way or anything that I could do to prevent this or fix it?

BTW, thanx for your respond.

EDIT: ok i just found and installed version 9.1-v2 and the problem is still there :(
Dimebog

Post by Dimebog »

Could it be something to do with the fact that I had monster.sou compressed to monster.so3 (mp3 compression)? I kinda tried with both speech on and off, and the game crashes nontheless.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

On the 6680 it should be fine with Mp3 compressed audio. But its alittle bit low on memory so try running the scummvm only version of scummvm get as much memory available as possible
Dimebog

Post by Dimebog »

Actually, I just figured out that the game will freeze every time a background MIDI stops playing (at the end of intro's or scripted sequences), and since I'm a Sam&Max freak, I own many different versions and I will try all of them untill I find the one that worked initialy. The version of the game must be the problem... :x
QuantoSolo

Post by QuantoSolo »

That sounds a bit like one of the problems I have with Sam&Max on my Siemens SX1. I tried it with the floppy version and the CD version of Sam&Max and both the full and the scumm-only ScummVM S60 version 1.
The game freezes at the end of the credits and in the office the moment Sam answers the phone. These are not too bad because I can skip them. I couldn't get further yet because I have another problem with the cursor being invisible, only after hitting menu the standard cursor shows up.
Dimebog

Post by Dimebog »

I can skip them too, but there's more scripted sequences later on... I can't skip all of them. Anyway, in case you solve the problem, be sure to tell me what you did because I'm becoming desperate. I will do so too in case I come up with something.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Also some of the newer builds might not work on n70,6630 etc due to some alignment issues in the code. It this can't be solved, then there will be no new builds for S60v2, S60v1, UIQ2, S80 and S90, and only S60v3 and UIQ3 will be supported.

So i'm not sure if this is one of the reasons for some builds not working, at least for the svn builds.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Alignment issues? As in , #pragma pack not working? Well if this is still an issue, page scummvm-devel and we can start searching seriously for an alternative. But so far nobody is putting any energy into it, as it's not clear that something actually needs it...
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I have the source for the 2.95.3 compiler I'm using, and it should support #pragma pack, well.. its enabled in the compiler. Not sure if it is, so I will have to investigate this. But I won't give up that easily. :-)
Dimebog

Post by Dimebog »

So, if Sam&Max used to work fine on my 6680 before I had this 512Mb MC, and now they happen to freeze (permanently and allways at the same spot, talking nanoseconds here) at the end of each animated sequence, the only known problem that might be causing this is that MC is somehow slower? I've seen this freeze problem mentioned before on this forum, but noone seems to be able to tell for sure if it is fixable.

Any idea how I could format my MC with a larger cluster size to increase speed to the desired level?

Any idea how I could turn off autosaves, since there isn't an option for that included?

When I have tried all there is to try what remains for me is to kill myself or buy a n93.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I think you should try an earlier build, like 0.91 build because there are some serious issues with the later SVN builds, which I did n't realize until now.
darknova

Post by darknova »

I had this exact problem with my N70. I believe its something in the new build. I loaded version 0.8.2 (Feb 7 2006) and it works. It now gets past the intro animation and also the Flynt's office sequence. Hope this helps.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

The current svn build for S60v2, s60v1, S80, S90 and UIQ2 are very much broken. Still no one who can compile with cygwin though.. :-( My setup is complaining about faulty scripts.. I guess the source I am trying to compile is rather strangle formatted, at least the build scripts