Problem with ScummVM DS shutting down

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Pedro UK

Problem with ScummVM DS shutting down

Post by Pedro UK »

Hiya.

I have an R4. I have dl'd the latest version of scummVM DS. I have DLDI patched it with the right click version of the program. I have put the 'B' version of the program on the root of the card along with along with the appropriate files for BASS including the new Sky.cpt file.

When I boot the program it loads fine and I can browse to the game and select it. However, when I try to load the game my DS just powers off. I have dl'd all the files a number of times and tried again and again but to no avail. Can someone please help me. I have asked at GBATemp and DS-Scene and nobody seems to have this problem! Any help would be appreciated - I really want to play these games on my DS!

Thanks in anticipation, Pedro :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Have you tried running another game, like Flight of the Amazon Queen?

Have you run any other DLDI homebrew on your R4?
Pedro UK

Post by Pedro UK »

Yeah, I've tried runnning FOTAQ - same thing. I've been running all different kinds of DLDI homebrew (games and apps) with no problem at all. Even early alpha obscure things like Copytest (which allows me to use the EZ V 3in1 with my R4).

I've tried the different versions of BASS and FOTAQ (floppyvs CD etc) that can be dl'd as well! I really am at the end of my tether!

PS: Thanks for getting back. :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

While hitting the 'start' button with your pen to start the game, press and hold any button on the DS. This will stop the DS from shutting down while the button is held and allow you to ready any error message that might show on the top screen.
Pedro UK

Post by Pedro UK »

Hiya again.

I did what you said. All I got was 2 black screens until a let the button go. Out of desperation I tried it a number of times while pushing different buttons! I just don't get it. :(
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I don't get it either. Perhaps you could try formatting your card to FAT16 using:

format <drive> /fs:fat16

at a command prompt.
Pedro UK

Post by Pedro UK »

Didn't work. I'm just going to give up. Hopefully the next release will work for me...Thanks for your time and help.
Pedro UK

Post by Pedro UK »

Hiya, it's me again!

I recently got an M3 Lite for some GBA action. I thought I'd give Scumm a try again. Since it was a different cart from my R4 I thought it woudl work this time. It didn't. I have patched the file for the M3 and everything boots fine but I get EXACTLY the same problem when I choose a game (BASS) the screen goes black and then my DS shuts down!

It must be a hardware issue. I have now tried 2 different flash carts in 2 different slots using 3 different TF cards (2 1gig Japanese Kingstons and 1 512mb Sandisk). And the outcome is always the same. The only constant is my UK DS Lite. Is this possible? Why am I the only person reporting this problem?

UPDATE: I have just tried a friend's DS Phat. Guess what? Yep, still the same...
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Perhaps you could make an image of your M3 Lite's MicroSD card using Winimage (http://www.winimage.com/) with only Beneath a Steel Sky and the scummvm executable ready to run on it. This shouldn't be too large.

Then I can extract the disk image onto my M3 Lite and hopefully I will have the exact same setup as you and will be able to see what the problem is.
Spudman101

Post by Spudman101 »

I had this exact same problem when I set up scummVM on my DS with BASS, but I moved the game files into a folder instead of the root of the card and it seemed to magically fix the problem.

Now it works fine.

You might want to try moving the files to somewhere else on the card and see if it helps.
Percy

Post by Percy »

Spudman101 wrote:I had this exact same problem when I set up scummVM on my DS with BASS, but I moved the game files into a folder instead of the root of the card and it seemed to magically fix the problem.

Now it works fine.

You might want to try moving the files to somewhere else on the card and see if it helps.
I have the same stuff as Pedro - R4 card, UK DS lite
I've got the same problem still.

My ScummVM DS is sat on the root of the card
I have a folder from here called "BeneathASteelSky"
Inside that folder is sky.cpt, sky.dnr and sky.dsk

I start up ScummVM, touch the start and it goes black, as though the power button was hit.

Very strange...and...dare I say, a little frustrating to be so near and yet so far! :oops:
Percy

Post by Percy »

Holy cow! - its just started working!!!

I think I know why.

When I put a copy of 'sky.cpt' onto my DS, I didn't re=add BASS in ScummVM. I just went and clicked 'start' and it did't work.

What I did was
a) copy sky.cpt onto my card
b) start up ScummVM
c) remove the game from the list
d) add it back again
e) start playing.

joy joy joy joyjoyjoyjyojyoyjoyjy!
:D

Time to see if I can ditch the whole lot and start again 8)