Goblins 3 bugs

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Goblins 3 bugs

Post by md5 »

Since Goblins 3 is playable now, is it ok if I submit a couple of bugs I found up to now for the English CD version? Or is it too early for that?

-- removed --

I haven't filed proper bug reports because there's not a category for Goblins 3 up to now, just thought I'd report those glitches that I experienced up to now

If it's still too early for bug reports, disregard this :)
Last edited by md5 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Since this is a bug/feature thread for Goblins 3 I'd like to make request here which applies to all of the Gobli(ii)ns games: Is there the possibility to (optionally) disable the loading screens?

On old computers, especially in the disk versions - they were a really nice extra to pass the loading times, but nowadays they aren't necessary anymore and - in my opinion - look a little bit strange the half second they pop up.
Game flow would be nicer if one screens would fade (via blackscreen) directly to the next.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Goblins 3 bugs

Post by DrMcCoy »

md5 wrote:Since Goblins 3 is playable now, is it ok if I submit a couple of bugs I found up to now for the English CD version? Or is it too early for that?
Yes, it is too early. I'm aware of these.
Since many changes to the engine still aren't identified (let alone implemented), those things are to be expected.
Wintermute wrote:Since this is a bug/feature thread for Goblins 3 I'd like to make request here which applies to all of the Gobli(ii)ns games: Is there the possibility to (optionally) disable the loading screens?
Theoretically, yes.

But:

In Gobliins 2, that would be possible by not executing callSub() in Game_v2::playTot() when _curTotFile is "inter.TOT". I can't guarantee this doesn't have any unwanted side-effects (like un- or wrongly initialized variables, for example).
Also, it won't be that easy for Goblins 3, since there the loading screens seem to be a part of menu.tot, which handles the menu and related things as well. Very likely that you'd have to collect jump offsets for the loadings screens and these differ from version to version.
Both seems quite hacky and possible dangerous (because you don't know which side-effects you take away or produce) to me, especially for thus a minor issue. I for one kinda like these loading screens, too.
Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Yes, it is only a minor issue and not that important. I just thought about mentioning it and asking how difficult it would be implementing this.
DrMcCoy wrote:Both seems quite hacky and possible dangerous (because you don't know which side-effects you take away or produce) to me, especially for thus a minor issue.
You never know if you don't try! ;-)
(Maybe this could be an option sometime in the future when all the Goblins game as a whole are better supported.)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Also, the mouse's behavior is strange. When I want to scroll the screen to the right, it works fine. When I want to scroll the screen to the left though, I have to stick the cursor to the very last pixel of the screen. I'm using ScummVM in windowed mode, and it gets very annoying, as the cursor exits the window all the time when I try and scroll the screen to the left. Perhaps the range where the screen is scrolled to the left should be reduced (i.e., scroll the screen to the left when the cursor is within the leftmost 5 pixels instead of the very leftmost pixel)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

md5 wrote:the cursor exits the window all the time when I try and scroll the screen to the left.
You can use Ctrl-M to toggle the mouse capture feature on and off. When the mouse is captured, it means it cannot leave the ScummVM window. I don't remember for sure, but I think that feature works in Windows, too.

The feature was added around the time sev added support for the Full Throttle bike fight scenes. This was no coincidence. :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Thanks eriktorbjorn, that works but scrolling the screen to the left is still buggy :( oh well it's not too annoying anymore though :)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

md5 wrote:Thanks eriktorbjorn, that works but scrolling the screen to the left is still buggy :( oh well it's not too annoying anymore though :)
No, it's not buggy. Check with Dosbox: the original behaves the same. For left scrolling, you have to "push" the left edge...
The only thing that is different is that the cursor jitters and that it moves too far while scrolling to the right. The cursor normal should stay at the same position while scrolling, but since the GobEngine handles the cursor via ScummVM's CursorManager instead of drawing it like a sprite, the cursor is always drawn immediately.

And please stop with these "bug reports", I am aware that there are still bugs, I know it doesn't yet work right, it's in active development and wasn't announced as working yet.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

DrMcCoy wrote:And please stop with these "bug reports", I am aware that there are still bugs, I know it doesn't yet work right, it's in active development and wasn't announced as working yet.
Right, will stop immediately. I thought I was helping with those reports, seems like I'm not
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Please don't understand me wrong, I'd really appreciate it once the bug hunt is on.
Right now it's rather like telling a mason that the roof leaks while he's still building the basement, though.
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:
md5 wrote:Since Goblins 3 is playable now, is it ok if I submit a couple of bugs I found up to now for the English CD version? Or is it too early for that?
Yes, it is too early. I'm aware of these.
Since many changes to the engine still aren't identified (let alone implemented), those things are to be expected.
Great news. The number of games working with Gob engine has increased very fast.
But shoudn't it be a lot easier to add support for Fascination (i'm not sure of this but scummvm detects it with Gob2 id). It's a game that shares more code with Gob1 / Gob2 than Goblins 3. Is it because this is an adult game?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

@DrMcCoy: Point taken :)

@fac: It's really up to DrMcCoy, he's the main developer dealing with the gob engine. However, the fact that it's detected as Gob2 or that it shows a screen of the game doesn't mean that it shares more code with Gob1/Gob2 than Gob3 does. It's a totally different game. Lost in time is a game from Cocktel Vision too, that doesn't mean it shares the exact same code with the rest of their games
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

fac wrote:But shoudn't it be a lot easier to add support for Fascination (i'm not sure of this but scummvm detects it with Gob2 id). It's a game that shares more code with Gob1 / Gob2 than Goblins 3.
From what I've seen, the current crash occurs from within the expression parser, which means there something different there. Ergo, Gob3 shares more code with Gob2 than Fascination does. :)
Also, saying that it "shares more code with Gob1 / Gob2 than Goblins 3" is kinda strange, because Gob3 is quite near to Gob2, while Gob1 and Gob2 differ a lot (especially in the goblins handling and general scenes set up).
fac wrote:Is it because this is an adult game?
I'm rather reluctant to add further support, exactly because it is an adult game. I briefly spoke with sev about that, he thinks it wouldn't be that good of an idea and I see his point.
I'm by no means "prude" or something, but ScummVM is more of a "family friendly" program and I think especially adding support could hurt its image.

Maybe I'm overreacting / over-estiminating the scope and I admit, I've neither given it that much thought, nor did I raise / ask for an official discussion.

Anyway, right now I'd like to stick with my "Goblins games first" plan. Bargon Attack and Ween got supported because their engines basically are the unmodified Gob2 engine, the only things I did change were mistakes I made that didn't have any effects in Gob2, IMD video playback that wasn't used in Gob2 (but still was in the code) and the hardcoded Bargon Attack intro parts.
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote:
fac wrote:Is it because this is an adult game?
I'm rather reluctant to add further support, exactly because it is an adult game. I briefly spoke with sev about that, he thinks it wouldn't be that good of an idea and I see his point.
I'm by no means "prude" or something, but ScummVM is more of a "family friendly" program and I think especially adding support could hurt its image.

Maybe I'm overreacting / over-estiminating the scope and I admit, I've neither given it that much thought, nor did I raise / ask for an official discussion.
I understand. But ScummVM doesn't work without the game data. So only those who have the gamedata can play it. Besides AGI engine also supports Leisure Suit Larry and no one talks about it (being an adult game).
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

DrMcCoy wrote:I'm rather reluctant to add further support, exactly because it is an adult game. I briefly spoke with sev about that, he thinks it wouldn't be that good of an idea and I see his point.
You don't need to post screenshots or something.
Just list them after the LucasArts/etc. stuff:

Other supported games:

- Fascination
- XXX

You don't even need to link them to mobygames, just plain text.

Every computer game store or electronics market seems to be "family-friendly", even though they sell Leisure Suit Larry, Lula, and other adult-oriented stuff. They have something for everybody.

I'm not sure whether that would really "hurt" ScummVM. As long as there are no offensive screenshots, everything should be okay.

BTW, when will LSL7 be supported?!? :twisted: :wink: