Installing Putt-Putt Joins the Parade

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Preyer

Installing Putt-Putt Joins the Parade

Post by Preyer »

Found no other posts concerning this problem and Google didn't help either, so I guess you're my last resort.

When installing (I've got the original floppies) Putt-Putt Joins the Parade with DOSBox and files copied to my harddrive, it prompts for the disk 2 and doesn't proceed. I had the same problem with Sam&Max, but got it installed under Win98.

If I install from the original floppies or with Win98, it installs "correctly". Once I start it, it gets stuck. With ScummVM it gives the following error: "ERROR: (46:58:0xBC): costume 188 not in room 46 at 4544765+27486 in file puttputt.he1"

I've concluded that it installs, but perhaps skips the other disks, explaining the missing data? How do I overcome this problem? Any experiences?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

That error message tells you that the .he1 file is corrupted.
You have to recopy it and make sure you don't have access errors while the operation is running

You can check with md5sum from the original media and the copied one to make sure

One question:

Why do you install it with DosBox? Simply copy the he files to a subdir and point ScummVM there!
You don't need DosBox to run a game in ScummVM, neither do you need the original installer nor the original exe's.

Hmm, could it be that the floppy versions hold the .he1 file splitted and packed on different disks?
clem

Post by clem »

Raziel wrote: Hmm, could it be that the floppy versions hold the .he1 file splitted and packed on different disks?
yepp, as far as I remember the Humongous games used a DOS installer like the LucasArts floppy games (packed proprietary data file, spanned over several disks)
Preyer

Post by Preyer »

Raziel wrote:Hmm, could it be that the floppy versions hold the .he1 file splitted and packed on different disks?
Yeh, that's it. I've only got install.exe and puttputt.001 - .005.

If I install it straight (under WinXp) it does the same trick as earlier - installs a corrupt version.
clem

Post by clem »

Preyer wrote:Yeh, that's it. I've only got install.exe and puttputt.001 - .005.

If I install it straight (under WinXp) it does the same trick as earlier - installs a corrupt version.
are you sure the floppies copied correctly from the disk?

I once had a similar problem with Betrayal at Krondor - installation worked flawlessly, game crashed whenever I started it
Preyer

Re: Installing Putt-Putt Joins the Parade

Post by Preyer »

clem wrote:are you sure the floppies copied correctly from the disk?
Preyer wrote:If I install from the original floppies or...
So yeh... Or at least I think my Windows would notice if the floppies/data on 'em have gone bad? Or does it?