Playing Maniac Mansion inside Day of the Tentacle

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mikeebean

Playing Maniac Mansion inside Day of the Tentacle

Post by mikeebean »

I've been reading around the forum trying to discover how I can play Maniac Mansion on the computer inside Day of the Tentacle. I'm using SCUMMVM on Windows XP and the only solutions I can find are for Macs. When I try to access MM, SCUMMVM tells me that I need to add MM to play it, but I don't have any idea how to find it or extract it from the DOTT data file. If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Playing Maniac Mansion inside Day of the Tentacle

Post by eriktorbjorn »

mikeebean wrote:I've been reading around the forum trying to discover how I can play Maniac Mansion on the computer inside Day of the Tentacle. I'm using SCUMMVM on Windows XP and the only solutions I can find are for Macs. When I try to access MM, SCUMMVM tells me that I need to add MM to play it, but I don't have any idea how to find it or extract it from the DOTT data file. If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative!
My Day of the Tentacle CD contains a folder called maniac which contains a bunch of files: 00.lfl, 01.lfl, etc. These are the data files for Maniac Mansion.
mikeebean

Post by mikeebean »

Mine didn't have that folder, but here's how I did it in Windows XP:

First, download the Tools.zip from the Download page of SCUMMVM.

-Find the folder with your DOTT data file. It should be in a folder by itself for this project. (If you move it, you will need to re-add it to SCUMMVM)
-Find the extract_scumm_mac.exe file and drop it in the folder with DOTT.
-Right click in the folder and select New>Text document
-Open your new document and type:
extract_scumm_mac "Day of the Tentacle Data"
(if your DOTT file has a different name, just put that in quotes, including the extension, if any.)
-Save the document as "WHATEVER.BAT"
-Double click WHATEVER.BAT
-It should create a bunch of files. These are the data files for Maniac Mansion, DOS version.
-If it doesn't, open the BAT file by right-clicking it and selecting edit. Check your typing and try again.
-Put the extract_scumm_mac.exe file back in the Tools folder for future use, and delete your BAT file, unless you want to keep it for future reference.
-Now open SCUMMVM and Add Game. Find the folder with DOTT in it and Choose it. You will now see both DOTT and MM, select MM and Choose and OK.

Now you can play MM inside DOTT or by itself!

Also, interestingly I discovered that you can add Commodore D64 images of MM and Zak McKracken to SCUMMVM. MM doesn't play right for some reason, but ZM seems to work fine but with no sound. The text goes by fast but you can fix that by clicking Edit Game>Audio>Override and making subtitle speed around 190. (I realize now most of this is documented in the readme files, but who ever reads instructions?) :)
clem

Post by clem »

mikeebean wrote: Also, interestingly I discovered that you can add Commodore D64 images of MM and Zak McKracken to SCUMMVM. MM doesn't play right for some reason, but ZM seems to work fine but with no sound.
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=maniac
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=zak
mikeebean wrote: (I realize now most of this is documented in the readme files, but who ever reads instructions?) :)
indeed :D

maybe we could add a doc-check when starting up ScummVM? "Please enter the 5th word on the 4th line on page 27 of the ScummVM README" *waits for crack to appear*

clem
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

mikeebean wrote:(I realize now most of this is documented in the readme files, but who ever reads instructions?) :)
Ah, so it's not that we can't write documentation, just no one reads it. What's the point then...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

We should implement a README check in the launcher, like clem said.

"To start ScummVM, please input the fifth word in the fourth paragraph of the README"

That could work wonders 8)
NLS

Post by NLS »

clem wrote:
mikeebean wrote: Also, interestingly I discovered that you can add Commodore D64 images of MM and Zak McKracken to SCUMMVM. MM doesn't play right for some reason, but ZM seems to work fine but with no sound.
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=maniac
http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php?details=zak
clem I think he talks about D64 images non-extracted (i.e. the D64 file itself...

In that case I suppose he has some transparent D64 extractor installed in his system and the filesystem can read inside the D64 like it was a folder.

Am I correct Mike? When you double-click D64 files do they open as folders?
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

clem wrote:maybe we could add a doc-check when starting up ScummVM? "Please enter the 5th word on the 4th line on page 27 of the ScummVM README"
That makes me smile. :)

Would be annoying to have to check every time, but maybe set it up to only do that the on the first run?
mikeebean

Post by mikeebean »

NLS- sorry for the delay, I never received an email that this topic had been replied to again, and I just now happened on this page by accident. No my D64 images opened in Notepad as gobbledygook, not as a folder view. I don't recall what happened when I added these disk images to SCUMMVM as it was a long time ago, and now I'm using Vista. I can just imagine the headache of trying it again from scratch using Vista!