monkey island load/save menu

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

homerjs

Post by homerjs »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Particularly since ScummVM's save/load screen actually works. It looks like loading works from at least some of the original save/load screens, but saving didn't work for me.

Even if they did work, I wouldn't want to have only 10-15 savegame slots available. (Extending that would be extremely non-trivial when the save/load dialog is a part of the game scripts rather than the game engine.)
well not being able to save is not so cool^^
but if the user could decide which menu to use, the low number of slots wouldnt be a problem.
nostalgists like me would press f5 for original menu, and people who what the improved menu press alt+f5 .. or somethin like it...
but if the original menu doenst work properly its not worth a discussion anyway

i did never say thanks for scummvm: thanks so very much for the great work =))
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, we made the choice already: Nostalgic people press Alt-F5. The other 99% of our users, who just want to have fun playing games, press F5 as before. :-)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The original SCUMM games had a different approach of saving games, which differs from the one taken by ScummVM, hence saving doesn't work (yet) in the original save/load dialogs.

For more information, refer to patch #1687041

You could always ask for features you'd like to see implemented in our Feature request tracker (like, for example, that option for showing the original save/load dialogs with F5)
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

another possibility would be something like a hotkey configuration... so everybody could decide himself.
where do i find that feature tracker?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The f5 one is used for several reasons:

1. You cannot load your autosave game from the original dialog
2. The original dialog had only space for ~10 games for most LA Scumm games and 8 for HE games
3. Thumbnails!

I can't see why the original is better, except for Indy3 which has the IQ points.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

homerjs wrote: where do i find that feature tracker?
On the ScummVM project page, along with the bug and patch trackers.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

clone2727 wrote:I can't see why the original is better, except for Indy3 which has the IQ points.
well i didnt say they were better..its just the style of them.. every game has another one and i just thought it would be cool if they were in the game... i know that they dont contain the features of the scummvm menu.
eriktorbjorn wrote:On the ScummVM project page, along with the bug and patch trackers.
thanks
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

A feature request for this will be promptly rejected by me, so my as well not bother :-).

Too many options in this regard are an evil. if you reall really badly want F5 and Alt-F5 swapped, grab the source code, make the minor mod (if you don't know how, I can tell you what you have to change) and compile it yourself. But adding an option to change a single hotkey in a certain engine? I think not! I firmly believe that doing that would confuse far more user's than it would help.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

fingolfin wrote:A feature request for this will be promptly rejected by me, so my as well not bother :-).

Too many options in this regard are an evil. if you reall really badly want F5 and Alt-F5 swapped, grab the source code, make the minor mod (if you don't know how, I can tell you what you have to change) and compile it yourself. But adding an option to change a single hotkey in a certain engine? I think not! I firmly believe that doing that would confuse far more user's than it would help.
yeah that makes sense.i will grab the source code then :P
thanks for your answers
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The relevant file is engines/scumm/input.cpp, look for ScummEngine::processKeyboard().