Nokia N95 and Scumm

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

venus27

Nokia N95 and Scumm

Post by venus27 »

Hello,sorry for my bad english,I'm italian girl..I've a Nokia N95,and I've installed Scumm for symbian 3rd edition..I play with Sam and Max,Monkey 1 e 2,it's ok...but can I play with Broken sword 1 or 2 and Monkey 3?Resolution of n95 is 640 x 480,but when I serch the game,scumm say "Not found game"!Why?Please,help me...Thanx and see U soon! :lol:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Broken Sword 1 and 2 has no built in support, also I think that the tvout might be vga resolution but the built in screen is not. It is only qvga, so that means that vga games has to be scaled down to 50% usually the result is poor playability and slowdowns.

Also this device only has around 20 mb free when started, not even near enough free memory to fully play these games, even full throttle, which is a 320x200 game has problems with only 20mb free.

So until your device has native vga support and at least 32-64 mb of free memory, you wont be able to play these games. And even with qvga and more memory available, it would be really tricky to play these games.
venus27

Post by venus27 »

Ok! :cry: Thank You very much..Bye!
QuantoSolo

Post by QuantoSolo »

Anotherguest wrote:Broken Sword 1 and 2 has no built in support, also I think that the tvout might be vga resolution but the built in screen is not. It is only qvga, so that means that vga games has to be scaled down to 50% usually the result is poor playability and slowdowns.

Also this device only has around 20 mb free when started, not even near enough free memory to fully play these games, even full throttle, which is a 320x200 game has problems with only 20mb free.

So until your device has native vga support and at least 32-64 mb of free memory, you wont be able to play these games. And even with qvga and more memory available, it would be really tricky to play these games.
I'm quite some noob on these grounds. Is in your opinion the N95 a bad choice of mobile phone regarding using SCUMMVM? Because I planned to get one as a replacement for my old Siemens SX1 and wishes like Symbian + UMTS + standard 3,5mm headphone jack + video out (OK, latter only because I wanted to try how that works with some video glasses) limits the choice of avaiable phones somewhat.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well N95 is not a bad choice as such. It has the speed, it has the resolution,what it does n't really have is the memory for those highresoluton games. Also of course, it does n't have a vga screen only qvga, so COMI and Sword 1 and 2 can't run on the right resolution. Also there are no current special support for the VGA output of the N95, so that has to be be specially adapted then.
orkhun

N95 and P990

Post by orkhun »

those phones are the best for sybian at the moment their d3d and opengl support can be used to support the games as if you are using a desktop and as far as I know they have the highes resolution phones in market utill N800 shows up also for scummvm it shouldn't be a problem to allow using memory card of these phones which can be upgraded to 2gb, also I want to ask if there will be a release for uiq 3rd edition and s60 3rd edition? :)
clem

Re: N95 and P990

Post by clem »

orkhun wrote:those phones are the best for sybian at the moment
it's symbian - a sybian is, I'm afraid, something completely different :lol:
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. sorry to say, the storage space is not the issue for the current devices, more the lack of RAM, current uiq3 and s60v3 devices only have around 15-22 mb free, which is n't really near enough to run some of the high end games. The latest P1i (availble later this year).. will have around 70 mb free RAM, which makes it really intresting. As for 3d acc thats not used for now.
LosOutlandos´

Post by LosOutlandos´ »

i have a different issue but the topic fits: when i play fate of atlantis (with speech) on my n95, most of the time the voices stutter. is this because of lacking processing power? can i change something in the audio-tab to make it normal?
thanks in advance
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I think it depends if you are using compressed audio or not. Try using really low bitrates if you are using compressed audio. Discaccess can be really slow on many devices, even the N95. Otherwise the N95 is one of the fastest S60 devices around.
LosOutlandos´

Post by LosOutlandos´ »

thanks, i'll try that
Lunacy

Day of the Tentacle and sound issues

Post by Lunacy »

Hello! Great job in ScummVM, everyone! It's simply great!
I have only tried playing DOTT so far, but I have a slight problem. I have installed it correctly (with MONSTER.SOU). I get all the sound effects (like the bird choking in the intro, or the tentacles "jumping" around etc., but I get no speech at all.

Actually, at first, I tried it with MONSTER.SOG (around 80MB) and I only got the sound effects, so I tried using the uncompressed MONSTER.SOU (256MB), but it's still the same.

Needless to say, I have tried disabling the subtitles etc.

I tried both the latest stable build (0.9.1) and the latest svn build (070522-symbians60v3_all).

Any ideas?
Lunacy

Post by Lunacy »

Well... :oops:
I sorta found out what was wrong...
I was using the floppy version of the files with the soundfile from the cd version, so the game didn't even look for the specific sounds when characters spoke.