Monkey Island 2 - How do I select difficulty?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smitelight

Monkey Island 2 - How do I select difficulty?

Post by Smitelight »

A friend recently gave me a gift of "Monkey Island Collection" and I've been playing through enjoying some classic adventuring goodness. Great, but "Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge" doesn't have the Easy/Hard selector I thought I remembered from when I first played it years back and the game is apparently locked in Easy.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me on how to switch over to Hard?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The selector screen should come up right after the "Ingredients Mix" copy protection.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 2 - How do I select difficulty?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Smitelight wrote:A friend recently gave me a gift of "Monkey Island Collection" and I've been playing through enjoying some classic adventuring goodness. Great, but "Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge" doesn't have the Easy/Hard selector I thought I remembered from when I first played it years back and the game is apparently locked in Easy.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me on how to switch over to Hard?
This may be a silly question, but... you are using ScummVM to play the game, rather than the original .EXE file, right? Because at least some releases - the ones where the Mix-n-Mojo code wheel isn't included - skip the difficulty selection, thus locking the game in hard mode.

That's why ScummVM displays the copy protection screen, but accepts any number you enter as the correct one. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
JDAdams

Post by JDAdams »

Indeed - if it's from a collection, it won't have the copy protection. I played through my bounty pack copy on the original exe years ago, and was recently surprised when SCUMMVM showed me the difficulty selection screen as I loaded it up.

As stated, the original exe is locked to "Hard" mode by the way. Incidentally does anyone know which puzzles are removed in "Easy" mode?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JDAdams wrote:Incidentally does anyone know which puzzles are removed in "Easy" mode?
I'd say most of them. Too many for me to remember, anyway.

The World of Monkey Island web site has walkthroughs for both the regular and easy versions of the game, though if you have, and are familiar with, the game I'd suggest you simply play it and see for yourself. As I recall it, it doesn't take that long to finish the easy version.