Sam And Max/DOTT Speech problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tom_123

Sam And Max/DOTT Speech problem

Post by Tom_123 »

When I play both Sam And Max and DOTT (both English Talkie CD Versions), the intros play the speech but when it gets into the actual game only the subtitles work and i cant seem to get either to work. Can you help me?
raina

Post by raina »

Sounds like you're playing the floppy disk versions of the games. They don't have speech past the intro.
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Both games store all the speech data in a file called MONSTER.SOU.

If the MONSTER.SOU is somewhere between 90MB and 250MB, it's the full speech versions (I can't remember exactly how big they are) while the MONSTER.SOU for floppy versions will be a few hundred K bytes.

It does sound like you're using the floppy version, which does do that. If you can check how big your MONSTER.SOU files are, we can tell you if that's the way it's meant to be.
Tom_123

Post by Tom_123 »

It is definetely the Cd versions, as i have the CD's.The Monster.SOU file for sam and max is 2,204 K Bytes and DOTT's is 3,741 K bytes. So i think that the game is meant to have speech.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Those file sizes correspond to the floppy versions of the games, the CD versions of those games have much bigger monster.sou files (larger than 100MB). The floppy versions (i.e. the ones you have) don't have speech after their introduction sequences.

Are you sure you have a legitimate copy of those games? We cannot offer help on pirated versions, please refer to forum rule #0
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tom_123 wrote:It is definetely the Cd versions, as i have the CD's.The Monster.SOU file for sam and max is 2,204 K Bytes and DOTT's is 3,741 K bytes. So i think that the game is meant to have speech.
I don't have the floppy versions myself, but those files are tiny. For the English CD version of Sam & Max, monster.sou is 175M, and for Day of the Tentacle it's 257M.
Tom_123

Post by Tom_123 »

They are legitmate copies, but they are really old ones, will try to find n see if copying the files again will work.
hydr0x

Post by hydr0x »

Remember not any cd-version is automatically a talkie. If it's a re-release or a magazine extra disc chances are high it's just the floppy pressed onto cd.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

hydr0x wrote:Remember not any cd-version is automatically a talkie. If it's a re-release or a magazine extra disc chances are high it's just the floppy pressed onto cd.
I don't believe that is true. All the versions are listed here.
clem

Post by clem »

clone2727 wrote:
hydr0x wrote:Remember not any cd-version is automatically a talkie. If it's a re-release or a magazine extra disc chances are high it's just the floppy pressed onto cd.
I don't believe that is true. All the versions are listed here.
not quite true - I once got some weird magazine which had a load of full versions on it, and you needed to purchase (via phone + credit card if I remember correctly) codes to decrypt the individual software

one of the games was DOTT, it was the disk version - the huge flaw of course being, that you'd be able to unlock the game right away - and then had to wait for the copy protection booklet to arrive in the mail :)

clem
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

On the link given are not all the versions. What's for example with all the French versions? The French DOTT and Sam & Max versions are not listed at all.

Furthermore you can't trace completely who realeased which version. I remember there was once a magazine distributing Loom with the audio play on CD instead of cassette. Unfortunately, I never heard and got one of those.

And besides: It was a floppy, too. :P (There's no CD version with speech in German.)
hydr0x

Post by hydr0x »

SimSaw wrote:(There's no CD version with speech in German.)
huh? there is a german talkie version

But he's right, not nearly every version is listed on that site, especially not those released with magazines. I'm quite sure there were floppy-version on cd releases.
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

A German Talkie of Loom? Never heard of. Where?

I once found a German list of all existent variants of LucasArts Games on AdventureTreff.de forums from LogicDeLuxe I think. This is a very good reference. It should be also somewhere around Tentakelvilla.de and it seemed also to contain additional info like with audio cassette and so on.
hydr0x

Post by hydr0x »

SimSaw wrote:A German Talkie of Loom? Never heard of. Where?
thought you were talking about DOTT