Broken Sword 1 crashes my box

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LurkerScum

Broken Sword 1 crashes my box

Post by LurkerScum »

hi!

i'm trying to play BS1 under Ubuntu, i tried both copying the needed files to a folder and making iso's and mounting them.. but i didn't solve my problems: ScummVM randomly resizes the window from fullscreen to windowed (which wouldn't even be a great issue) and _most importantly_ it crashes my whole system (Ubuntu 7.04), meaning that i have to REBOOT!, which is really strange when you're using Linux! :)

i'm using the last stable version (0.9.1).. could this be caused by compiz?

note: i followed all of the necessary steps (renaming speech etc.)

thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1 crashes my box

Post by eriktorbjorn »

LurkerScum wrote: i'm using the last stable version (0.9.1).. could this be caused by compiz?
I haven't heard of any problem like the one you describe, since you're suspecting compiz, couldn't you try disabling it and see if it makes a difference?

I know that on my old computer, the one thing that would make Linux lock up tight every few weeks or so was OpenGL. The jury is still out on how well it works with my new computer, but I can tell the OpenGL drivers have some teething problems at least.

The idea of making the desktop actually depend on OpenGL sends shivers down my spine.
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

k, seems like compiz was the problem

.. i'll file a bug-report on their site!
DeiF

Post by DeiF »

Same problem with Beryl.

I also noticed that there are other games that cause this, for example Curse of Monkey Island. If the game wants a 640x480 resolution and goes fullscreen with Compiz/Beryl, then if you return back to original resolution (Alt+Enter) the whole box crashes.

My system is SuSE 10.2 AMD64 with a modern NVidia card. I haven't seen any similar crashes with games under Wine, to put an example. Only with scummvm.