ScummVM with Nokia E90

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Aapo

ScummVM with Nokia E90

Post by Aapo »

I have tried every possible (i think) ways to make this work with large "communicator" screen.. but didn't make it work. It's either very small and rubbish or slightly larger, but still i'm not able to read text..

If you or someone else knows a way to make scummVM to work with Nokia E90, please answer to this message!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Have n't had one to test with. Hopefully graphics initially could be 640x352 (scaling is max 2x in any direction.) But keys and stuff might make it hard.
jukkis

Bugs with E90.

Post by jukkis »

I have also tried ScummVM with an E90 and I get the same problem. I'm using the latest version of ScummVM, 0.10.0.

E90 has a big, wide screen inside and a smaller screen on the outside. When starting ScummVM with the small screen in use, it takes the screen in use horizontally, like this:

Code: Select all

--------------------------
|          |             |
|  Monkey  |  * * * * *  |
|  Island  |  * * * * *  |
|          |  * * * * *  |
--------------------------
This is fine, and works OK, though the text is kinda small, there is some "scaling flicker", and you can't help but think what it would look like on the big screen. I figure the aspect ratio is not correct but it is very close.

OK. Then when you try to start it with the big screen in use, the application bugs and two small, bugging ScummVM screens appear, tilted to the left. The screens have bugging colours and they are unnecessarily small. Tilted to the left, their width is like half of the HEIGHT of the wide screen of E90.

This is corrected, somehow, when you open something else and then close it. Then, only one ScummVM screen is seen, tilted to the left. The ScummVM screen's width is the E90 wide screen's height. The height of the ScummVM screen looks bigger than necessary, distorting the aspect ratio.

So, the optimum would be that the screen would not be tilted in any way, and centered, when using the big screen. This is what I would like to see some day!

In both ways (using small screen or wide screen), in the options menu the "full screen" option is locked on and the "keep aspect ratio" option is locked off.

Another thing: when changing the keymaps, you cannot scroll the screen in a way that the selected item is not shown. Thus, if you want to go to the bottom of the list, you have to select the last item in your view, scroll a little bit, then select an item further down, scroll some more, and so on until you get to the bottom. You see to the bottom of the list while scrolling but then when you try to do something you get back where your selection is.

ScummVM is a wonderful thing, and I can't wait until I can play it on the big screen of my E90!
Last edited by jukkis on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

By the way, is there some bleeding edge build I could use to get the big screen working?

What does the "no78he" text in some of the versions stand for? Does it have something to do with the screen?
clem

Post by clem »

jukkis wrote:What does the "no78he" text in some of the versions stand for?
my guess is it means "no support for SCUMM version 7/8 games (Full Throttle/The Dig/CoMI) and Humongous Entertainment games"
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

No 78he means no support for V7, V8 and HE (humongous entertainment) games!
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

Has anyone solved this problem? Could some rotate-program help in this?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I need a S60v3 emu with E90 support built in. Also the two screens seems to be causing problems. Are you launching inside or outside? Sorry.. I'm the only one working on the Symbian port, and my time is limited. But I will resolve it as fast as I can.
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

Launching inside: two tilted, rubbish screens. fixed when you do something else and return: then you get one, working but tilted small screen.

I'd like to get it working inside with non-tilted screen so the big screen is used.

Launching outside: works fine, tilted screen as it should be.
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

Here is a picture of the problem:

As you can see, the picture is tilted left in an awkward manner :(
jukkis

Post by jukkis »

Problem solved: I found out about the 0+2 key combination for S60 devices in ScummVM! :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Can I have a screenshot where its tilted? :-) Would be nice to see how it works. :-)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Dont forget to try 0+4 (stretching) would give you 640x352 gaming I hope. :-)
Tohtori

Post by Tohtori »

Actually it looks pretty good. My webcam just sucks :)

All we need is a key for menu.

jukkis

Post by jukkis »

I'll post a shot later. Every now and then the picture goes garbled and you see 2 little screens. Opening something else (f.ex. the contacts list) and closing it helps. This usually happens also when you start ScummVM.

Other bugs:
- in the options, the key mapping-list doesn't scroll correctly

- I can't get the save/load dialog to open in any way (mapping the save key, using the "default" key #). There is a get-around I found: CTRL-D to enter console, write "savegame # NAMEOFSAVEGAME", press enter, and hit backspace to exit the console. To load, press CTRL and the number of the slot you saved to. Slot 0 doesn't seem to work. Pressing CTRL-0 tries to load from slot 10. I can't seem to load autosaves as well...

- in secret of monkey island, in the town of Meleé facing the 3 pirates sitting outside: I went to debugger, saved the game, got back from there (by pressing backspace) and the speed of the game went like 50x, people were whirling around.

- in the quit dialog, the 'no'-key edge is coming out of the dialog (minor problem, as minor as it gets)

- mapping of some keys doesn't seem to work. "skip", "skip text", "save" functions for example don't do anything if mapped. (Hint: backspace is the skip button)

But now I've gotten to play MI1, and I'm loving it. Those dear childhood memories... Thank you very much AnotherGuest and the ScummVM team for bringing this software for us for free!