full throttle on ds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tubbl

full throttle on ds

Post by tubbl »

There is no support for Full Throttle, The Dig, or The Curse of Monkey Island because of memory issues. There simply is not enough RAM on the DS to run these games.
wouldn't it be possible to use a one-slot solution (ds extreme for example) in combination with the ram expansion pak from nintendo (for the ds browser) to be able to run talkies like full throttle, the dig,...?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Nobody knows anything about how the ram expansion works. But it is likely to have the same 16-bit read issues as the Supercard/M3 RAM does. So no, this isn't possible.
tubbl

Post by tubbl »

thanks for your reply!
so there will never be a possibility to play full throttle on ds?! :(
BPM

Post by BPM »

The DS Browser expansion pak has 10MB RAM, it seems (according to Wikipedia, anyways, so it may not be true).

M3 has 32MB RAM. As for SuperCard and other flash devices, I don't know how much RAM they have.

But, if Full Throttle wouldn't work on M3 (if ScummVM DS can access the RAM, that is), then it's less likely to work on a Slot-1 device linked with the DS Brower expansion pak.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

The amount of RAM in the Opera DS expansion is not really an issues - 10Mb more should be plenty to run Full Thottle and The Dig. In fact, there's more chance the RAM expansion will be supported just because I have one, and I don't have an M3 or Supercard.

I wouldn't say Full Throttle on the DS is completely impossible, it's just that it's not likely to happen until there is a good way to add extra RAM to the DS.
BPM

Post by BPM »

agentq wrote:The amount of RAM in the Opera DS expansion is not really an issues - 10Mb more should be plenty to run Full Thottle and The Dig. In fact, there's more chance the RAM expansion will be supported just because I have one, and I don't have an M3 or Supercard.

I wouldn't say Full Throttle on the DS is completely impossible, it's just that it's not likely to happen until there is a good way to add extra RAM to the DS.
Ah, so that's the issue. I thought it was due to the DS simply not having enough power behind it. My mistake. :D
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

There's that issue too, the DS probably doesn't have enough power, and the game would probably be really slow.

The main issue though is that it's not possible currently to add the RAM in a way that ScummVM can use it.
ShadeJackrabbit

Post by ShadeJackrabbit »

Don't want to be reviving a topic, but can someone please add to the faqs, (if this is really what's being said):

"There is currently no way to use the Official Nintendo Memory Expansion Pack that comes with the DS Browser to increase the amount of memory ScummVM uses."

It took a while to find an answer and the faq's aren't really clear. (As they only talk about third-party memory expansions.)

And I've actually got another question:
How much more ram would be necessary to get The Curse of Monkey Island to run on the DS? An educated guess would be appreciated.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

ShadeJackrabbit wrote:How much more ram would be necessary to get The Curse of Monkey Island to run on the DS? An educated guess would be appreciated.
why does it matter?

though, what it says on the box would be a rather accurate guess
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote: why does it matter?
maybe he has a really good short-term memory ^^ :lol:
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Memory wouldn't be enough to get COMI working. You would need a miracle for that.

There's not enough CPU time or VRAM to run it.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clem wrote:
sorry, i missed the joke there:(
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote:
clem wrote:
sorry, i missed the joke there:(
I mean he could always cache data in his brain if the RAM in the DS isn't sufficient
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

"There is currently no way to use the Official Nintendo Memory Expansion Pack that comes with the DS Browser to increase the amount of memory ScummVM uses."

It took a while to find an answer and the faq's aren't really clear. (As they only talk about third-party memory expansions.)
I will add this to the faq next time I update it.
ShadeJackrabbit

Post by ShadeJackrabbit »

Thanks. It really clears things up.

Also, I thought the memory joke was funny. (Would be cool though if I actually could expand memory into my brain...)