Cheap card reader + card?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Garreett

Cheap card reader + card?

Post by Garreett »

Hey there, I'm strapped for cash here, and I need a card and reader that will work with ScummVM. I live in the UK, by the way.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, and if possible, I want a legit site (like play), the sites with black backgrounds and white text kind of scream out "SCAM" to me.
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

Datel Games 'n' Music would be recommended, as you can find it at Wal-Mart near you 8) . Cost is around 20$, and the box contains also a 128 MB microsd card.

Oh, and remember that it doesn't support commercial DS roms, and it's Slot-1.
Garreett

Post by Garreett »

Very nice, thanks!
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

Oh yeah, and the box contains USB reader also, so everything you need is Games n' music box and a PC to transfer data.

EDIT: WTF! Finland sucks. Price is 50 euros here!
Garreett

Post by Garreett »

iso jussi wrote:Oh yeah, and the box contains USB reader also, so everything you need is Games n' music box and a PC to transfer data.

EDIT: WTF! Finland sucks. Price is 50 euros here!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-N-Music-N ... B000OQ52YO

30.15885 Euros.
iso jussi

Post by iso jussi »

I didn't say it would not be cheaper somewhere else, and was not going to get it. Just mentioned the price in here.

EDIT: Seems like users are having problems with other brands' memory cards. Well, the included mem card probalby works fine.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I wouldn't buy the Games n Music card. The drivers were not released by Datel, and reverse engineered from the card itself, and are very new.

You will probably experience problems using it with ScummVM.

I would get this instead:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zappies-M3-SIMP ... 439&sr=8-1

Stable, working drivers, and only £28.99 from Amazon. There are cheaper places, but you know Amazon aren't going to rip you off.
the-chief

Post by the-chief »

I bought a second hand Movieplayer V2 cf version (slot 2) for 10 euro's and a Datel Medialauncher to put in slot 1 as a passme. 25 euro's online.

Works like a charm! (and I prefer compact flash)
cde

Post by cde »

I'd recommend the M3 simply from consoleup.com (£23.99 without memory card) and Sandisk 2gb microSD from play.com (£13.49). Recently recommended these to other UK users and they have been happily playing Monkey Island ever since :)

The M3 simply comes with a card reader and a protective case for the DS-game-sized unit, so you can keep it safe and nothing protrudes from your DS during use.

There are frequent system updates so you can probably ignore the files on the CD and get the v1.06 firmware from m3adapter.com or a community site like ds-scene.net (a benefit of the community sites is an RSS feed so you can see when the updates are released, they also announce ScummVM within a few hours of it becoming available...)