Demos

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chris

Demos

Post by chris »

Hi,

I've try all your demos (except Humongous games :p ) and i've find 11 demos, in my collection, not available here or different versions :)

Inherit the Heart
Ween with protection check (sic !), (same as yours but multilanguage files)
Legend of Kyrandia
Beneath a Steel Sky (these 3 demos are probably from your site but they are removed for fix them ?)
Beneath a Steel Sky (other demo)
Beneath a Steel Sky (cd demo)
Gobliiins non interactive (same has yours but multilanguage files)
Goblins 3 non interactive with multilanguage
Goblins 3 non interactive too with multilangue
Indy 4 (playfate installed, direct run)
Sam & Max (snmdemo installed, direct run)

Let me know if you're interrest and how can you send them, thanks :)

I've find little problems too :

- There is a crash in :

Monkey Island 2 (DOS demo) "mi2demo", after the title.

- Demos must be installed from floppy or mounted with dosbox :

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (DOS demo - Interactive) "playfate"

Sam & Max Hit the Road (DOS demo - Interactive) "snmdemo"

- Syntax error :

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Loom (FM Towns demo - Non interactive) "indyloom"

That's recognise with the name "Zak" under scumm but there is no zak in this demo ;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

We are very interested in all game demos. You may drop to #scummvm @ freenode.net and speak to one of the ops there (those are team members). Alternatively you may upload them somewhere and provide the link.

But first I recommend this:
  • Put all demos in subdirectories in a single place. Like c:/demos/gob3-demo1 etc
  • Rename/move your scummvm.ini, i.e. make your game list empty
  • Launch ScummVM 0.10.0, and press <Add game> button while holding shift key. The button will turn to Mass Add
  • Check newly added game entries on which games were created. Some engines have a fallback detection based on number of files, so watch for any 'Report md5 to scummvm team' in your console
  • Remove those ones which were recognised correctly, and thus, cleanup your list

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Re: Demos

Post by clone2727 »

I'll point out some now....
chris wrote:Beneath a Steel Sky (these 3 demos are probably from your site but they are removed for fix them ?)
Beneath a Steel Sky (other demo)
Beneath a Steel Sky (cd demo)
This is because large parts of BASS are hardcoded into the executable and would require work to get these working.
chris wrote: - There is a crash in :

Monkey Island 2 (DOS demo) "mi2demo", after the title.
See the compatibility page. There is a feature not supported in that demo.
chris wrote: - Syntax error :

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade & Loom (FM Towns demo - Non interactive) "indyloom"

That's recognise with the name "Zak" under scumm but there is no zak in this demo ;)
Yes, eventually there will be a miscellaneous demos target, but it is like this for now.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Demos

Post by DrMcCoy »

chris wrote:Ween with protection check (sic !)
The Ween demo starts with a different script than other Gob-derivative games ("show.tot" instead of "intro.tot").
When the copy protection in the demo is shown, that means we don't already know that demo and ScummVM mis-identifies it as a "normal" Gob game.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

It would be brilliant if someone managed to come up with the 'full' version of the Broken Sword 2 demo, with additional movies. I swear I definitely saw it on a PC Format coverdisc back in the end of '97. It's just a shame I don't have any old coverdiscs anymore.
chris

Post by chris »

Thank your for your answers :)

I've send demos to the "team member" clone2727 ;)

About Ween, i think this is because my demo included the full game. At the title screen, you can select game or demo (F1 or F2). Amazing because this demo come from another game, Gobliiins i think, so, they add for free a full game at the moment ? 8)

------------
Bugs report
------------

gob3demo2 - report - intro.stk - recognised under the name "gobliins 2"

kyracd_demo - unable to add to scumm, no report

inherit doesn't run correctly, only black screen
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

chris wrote:About Ween, i think this is because my demo included the full game. At the title screen, you can select game or demo (F1 or F2).
No, it's not the full game. You can choose between playing the first "level" (the first 3 screens) and a self-running slideshow.
chris wrote:gob3demo2 - report - intro.stk - recognised under the name "gobliins 2"
Probably also because this demo isn't known to us and ScummVM mis-identifies it by the names of the files instead of using the checksums.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

chris wrote:I've send demos to the "team member" clone2727 ;)
I have the link.

chris wrote:------------
Bugs report
------------

gob3demo2 - report - intro.stk - recognised under the name "gobliins 2"

kyracd_demo - unable to add to scumm, no report

inherit doesn't run correctly, only black screen
By bug reports, we meant using the bug tracker (as mentioned in the forum rules).
chris

Post by chris »

DrMcCoy wrote:
No, it's not the full game. You can choose between playing the first "level" (the first 3 screens) and a self-running slideshow.
Thank you McCoy, i've finish the game (i think) at this first released and never playing since, i don't like it.
clone2727 wrote:By bug reports, we meant using the bug tracker (as mentioned in the forum rules).
No, excuse-me for the mistake, that doesn't mean "official ScummVM bug tracker", juste the facts of checking like Sev ask me in this topic ;)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

chris wrote:Thank you McCoy, i've finish the game [Ween] (i think) at this first released and never playing since, i don't like it.
But why?!? It's so wonderfully...strange with funny, awkward English, how can you not love it?!? :lol:
chris

Post by chris »

Why ? OK, that's just my opinion ;)

Ween is a poor game like a remake of Legend of Djel, an old Coktel Vision. Poor story, poor puzzles, it's pretty hard to know how to interact with things than understand puzzles. Ugly design and jokes for childrens with twins for example. Like what Coktel have released after and at the same time (Bargon, Fascination, Gobliiins), Ween have not supported age of time.