How Can I Transfer Saves?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dmonkey21

How Can I Transfer Saves?

Post by dmonkey21 »

How can I transfer saves from my PC to my NDS? I have an M3 Simply that uses a 2GB MIcroSD card, if that matters.
tcamargo

Post by tcamargo »

Just copy the save files to your card.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

SD card reader anybody?
dmonkey21

Post by dmonkey21 »

Were do I put them on the card? Should I put each game's saves in the folder I have the game files? Card reader 0.o? I just use the SD adapter that came with the card and the SD reader on my Laptop.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

dmonkey21 wrote:Were do I put them on the card? Should I put each game's saves in the folder I have the game files? Card reader 0.o? I just use the SD adapter that came with the card and the SD reader on my Laptop.
adapter, reader. whats the difference?

scummvm creates the saves for you, you just need the rom and data files
dmonkey21

Post by dmonkey21 »

PsYcO wrote:
dmonkey21 wrote:Were do I put them on the card? Should I put each game's saves in the folder I have the game files? Card reader 0.o? I just use the SD adapter that came with the card and the SD reader on my Laptop.

Let me rephrase: I know that scummvm ds will make saves by itself, but I want to know if I can take saves from the PC version of scummvm and put them on my ds. I put the monkey.s01 file in the file that monkey island is on in my ds, and it didnt work.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

dmonkey21 wrote:
PsYcO wrote:

Let me rephrase: I know that scummvm ds will make saves by itself, but I want to know if I can take saves from the PC version of scummvm and put them on my ds. I put the monkey.s01 file in the file that monkey island is on in my ds, and it didnt work.
i dont think you can, as it is a save state, and the pc version is differant to the ds version

edit: wait where did you put it? and does it make an ini?

edit2: wait, what am i talking about? when you save the game does it create a save file, if so just over wright it and then if it doesn't work refer to my unedited post
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dmonkey21 wrote: Let me rephrase: I know that scummvm ds will make saves by itself, but I want to know if I can take saves from the PC version of scummvm and put them on my ds. I put the monkey.s01 file in the file that monkey island is on in my ds, and it didnt work.
One of the optional features of ScummVM is that it can compress the saved games. The PC version would definitely do so, but I don't know about the DS version.

You could try renaming the file monkey.s01.gz and then uncompress it. WinZip or similar programs ought to recognize it.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Yes, eriktorbjorn is correct, the DS port does not support Gzipped saves, so decompressing them like this will work.
cde

Post by cde »

Are there any plans to support gzipped saves, or is this something that would make ScummVMDS too large or too slow?

Maybe it will be added just after CoMI support :wink:
GriffNorris

Post by GriffNorris »

As in a hopeless far off dream due to the lack of RAM? :?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Why do you want gzipped saves? Uncompressed saves only take 100Kb or so, I don't see their size being an issue as the games themselves take up many megabytes.

If you want gzipped saves in order to read saves from the PC version, then just unzip them. It's easy, and you could write a batch file if you have many to decompress.
cde

Post by cde »

Hi agentq

As with so many other thoughts/requests, I agree that there is no obvious need for gzipped saves, but I would still suggest that a port of ScummVM should ideally support everything possible from the original code.

Since someone has pointed out the confusing perceived incompatibility between other builds and ScummVMDS, do you think it *could* be done? Whether it *should* be done can be a debate for another day :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Since someone has pointed out the confusing perceived incompatibility between other builds and ScummVMDS, do you think it *could* be done? Whether it *should* be done can be a debate for another day
No. I have limited time to spend on ScummVM DS and porting the gzip save support, while it would most likely be quite easy, is a waste of that time that could be spent improving compatibility with games or other useful stuff. It would also take up valuable RAM.

The fix for a 'perceived incompatibilty' is to tell people to unzip their saves. Or perhaps add an option to ScummVM on desktop computers to allow it not to gzip its saves, if such an option doesn't already exist, making them compatible with ScummVM DS.
cde

Post by cde »

All fair points there, I hope you don't get too annoyed with all these ideas that are not on your priority radar.

Since these forums are hardly the busiest in the world, perhaps it would be better to add a (tiny) bit of code so that ScummVMDS itself tells people about compressed saves? Maybe detect gzipped saves, or (better/simpler) detect failed load attempts, and have some kind of text-only output or error box with brief advice.

Or, as you rightly pointed out, get ScummVM to use uncompressed saves. It would seem backwards to drop gz support on SVM, but it might help cross-compatibility since users of the platforms which easily handle gzipped saves are probably even less likely to worry about saving a few hundred KB.

Stay awesome,
c