Residual / Grim Fandango on Vista

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyWalker2001

Residual / Grim Fandango on Vista

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to run Residual on Vista. I can watch the opening sequence video, but if I try to skip it or even if I just wait until it ends, Residual freezes before it reaches the actual bit where I'm in control.

Here's the error it gives:

Code: Select all

WARNING: No parent to apply colormap object on.
WARNING: No parent to apply colormap object on.
WARNING: StartFullscreenMovie() mode: 0
lua: (null)
Active Stack:
        `error' tag method at line 2365 [in file Scripts\_system.lua]
lua: API error - attempt to push a NOOBJECT
Active Stack:
        `error' tag method at line 2371 [in file Scripts\_system.lua]
lua: exit(1). Unable to recover
Here's what I've done so far:

1. Copied all the *.LAB files from both CDs and the additional DATA05.LAB file (which I think is added with the 1.01 patch?), which are 22 in total. And the GRIM.TAB file, which I read is needed.

2. Copied Residual.exe, Residual.ini (with correct game path) and SDL.DLL into the directory.

3. Run residual.

I've tried running it as an Admin, but it makes no difference. Does anyone have any experience with Residual and Vista, or with the error code I got? I'm completely flummoxed, and I know Residual is only in Alpha, but I thought I'd ask as I really want to play Grim.

Thanks for any help,
- Johnny
raina

Post by raina »

Won't the original .exe run under Vista (possibly in some compatibility mode)? It does under XP.
zoppologo

Post by zoppologo »

residual runs fine under my vista, just a little problem with a flickering menu

try a dot istead of the game path in residual.ini
JohnnyWalker2001

Thanks for the replies.

Raina: Yes, Grim.exe does work under Vista, but only in Software mode :( In hardware Manny is invisible most of the time.

Zoppologo: I've tried that in Residual, I wonder why it worked for you and not for me? Strange :( Hmmmm. I wondering if it's my NVidia 8800 gfx card?
JohnnyWalker2001

Yep, there's no getting away from it. Residual acts very weird with my computer! I'm thinking it must be my GFX card if no-one else is having problems with Vista.

What's weird is that the first time it plays after a boot, the video runs fine and then it stops responding... but the music keeps playing and the sound effect of the mail chute eventually kicks in.

Then, after about five minutes of watching the last frame of the video, the game starts properly... except it doesn't. I see Manuel there, in all his 3D glory, but I can't control him. The music keeps playing but he's completely unresponsive. If I move the window, Residual "stops responding" (according to Windows) again and the music keeps playing, and eventually it comes back... exactly how it was before - uncontrollable.

Then, after a while it crashes with the message above.

If I try and load it again, I get the intro video as before, but it just crashes *straight away* to the above error... no pauses anymore. Weird.

Vista Home Premium
Intel E6600
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS

I place all this information here for posterity, for when the ScummVM guys finally have emulated every great adventure game and have nothing else to do... and Residual sounds like a more exciting prospect.