Secret of Monkey Island Save

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

thefil

Secret of Monkey Island Save

Post by thefil »

I've been playing SOMI on my Macbook, and I had gotten to Chapter 3 (The island) when I accidently SAVED my state instead of loaded it. I'd been stupidly saving in the same slot each time, so now I've lost my game. I was wondering if anyone had a ScummVM save I could use on my Mac in or around that area so I can avoid restarting.

(Also, how would I go about saving Monkey Island within the game, rather than using states?)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I wouldn't trust a boot param to always put the game in a state where it can be completed, though.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
I wouldn't trust a boot param to always put the game in a state where it can be completed, though.
well its the best i can do, since my mac is at a friends
thanius

Funked up save state

Post by thanius »

Does it really matter if you messed up the save? I mean, the greatest thing with Monkey Island is that you cannot mess up totally so that you have to restart the game as you could in Zak and Maniac Mansion?
Or am I wrong? Perhaps the part with the grog, come to think of it...
clem

Re: Funked up save state

Post by clem »

thefil wrote: (Also, how would I go about saving Monkey Island within the game, rather than using states?)
F5 should bring up the menu. If it doesn't work (because it's a macbook) the F5 key might be assigned to some notebook-function and you have to figure out how to disable that
thanius wrote:Does it really matter if you messed up the save? I mean, the greatest thing with Monkey Island is that you cannot mess up totally so that you have to restart the game as you could in Zak and Maniac Mansion?
Or am I wrong? Perhaps the part with the grog, come to think of it...
nope - you might be able to create a setting that isn't predicted by the game at all - imagine missing inventory items, or a character who thought he already gave you something but didn't, so the relevant line in a dialog selection doesn't come up, etc - or worse, ScummVM just shuts down
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: nope - you might be able to create a setting that isn't predicted by the game at all - imagine missing inventory items, or a character who thought he already gave you something but didn't, so the relevant line in a dialog selection doesn't come up, etc - or worse, ScummVM just shuts down
Are you talking about boot params or normal playing?
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Are you talking about boot params or normal playing?
boot params - at the time I wrote it it seemed clear to me from the context (oops!).
thanius

Boot params vs normal gaming

Post by thanius »

I was talking about the actual game - I don't believe there's a way to get an abrupt end to the game (Monkey Island) if you used an item at the wrong place; except for when you have to use three cups of grog to release Otis from the jail. But perhaps they included another set of cups if you used up the first ones? Dunno.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

maybe it would be wize to make a pop-up, one of those 'are you sure you wish to overwright the save file' things?
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

PsYcO wrote:maybe it would be wize to make a pop-up, one of those 'are you sure you wish to overwright the save file' things?
Kinda reminds me of wanting to ask why there's no "Are you sure you want to quit?" option when you press Alt-X, like it did in the original interpreters.
clem

Post by clem »

It looks like you want to start ScummVM.
Cancel or Allow?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote:It looks like you want to start ScummVM.
Cancel or Allow?
In this case, shouldn't the options be Allow and Hurry up? :)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

fare enough there annoying and a bit of a waste of space, but its even more annoying loosing a save.
ssdsa

Re: Boot params vs normal gaming

Post by ssdsa »

thanius wrote:I don't believe there's a way to get an abrupt end to the game (Monkey Island) if you used an item at the wrong place; except for when you have to use three cups of grog to release Otis from the jail. But perhaps they included another set of cups if you used up the first ones? Dunno.
When you don't manage to take the grog to the jail and release Otis, you can simply return to the Scumm bar and find that all cups you previously took are back again. So you can pick them up and try again and again. :)

On the other hand, later on in the game, on Monkey island, if you waste some of the bananas you'll never be able to get the money to hold the entrance to the monkey head open, and there's no way to get more bananas.

Funny -- in real life, you just have to wait some time for a banana tree to grow more bananas, but you can wait forever for some cup you melted to re-appear. Well, in MI1, it's the other way around. ;)