ScummVM with Nokia E90

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dirkie_de

Post by dirkie_de »

Hi!!

I really have problems to install vscumm on my E90. It always detects a certification problem - what does it mean? And which version of vscumm you are using??

Thanks for help!!

Dirk
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

For certification dates are always the key issues. For the official 0.10.0 make sure you have the correct date in your phone, for the older builds please set back the date to last year and it will work. For a operator locked phone you might have other installation restrictions.
meckelbu

Post by meckelbu »

jukkis wrote:I'll post a shot later. Every now and then the picture goes garbled and you see 2 little screens. Opening something else (f.ex. the contacts list) and closing it helps. This usually happens also when you start ScummVM.
I have the same garbled screen problem when maximizing ScummVM in the big screen, my workaround is to wait E90 to go into active-off mode (if you try this, wait ~10 seconds after the backlight goes off) and then wake it up, this fixes the graphics. But still, it's a tedious workaroud because I have to do it every time I switch away from ScummVM, and I would too like to see it fixed somehow.
jukkis wrote: - I can't get the save/load dialog to open in any way (mapping the save key, using the "default" key #). There is a get-around I found: CTRL-D to enter console, write "savegame # NAMEOFSAVEGAME", press enter, and hit backspace to exit the console. To load, press CTRL and the number of the slot you saved to. Slot 0 doesn't seem to work. Pressing CTRL-0 tries to load from slot 10. I can't seem to load autosaves as well...
At least in Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2 and Fate of Atlantis Chr-T opens the normal game menu where you can save and load.

And speaking of Monkey Island, MI3 doesn't work at all for me in the E90, graphics crap out badly in both screens (pieces cut out etc.) and the whole game seems to get stuck once Guybrush wakes up in LeChucks ship.
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

Hmmm... I'll have a look over the source code later and see if I can come up with any suggestions on how to fix it properly (Have to do the work-around on my E90 and it does get annoying sometimes)
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

OK, after having a look (and not understanding it too well.. I never could read other ppls code) I gave up.. lol

My thoughts on the matter are that screen size detection is not being done properly somewhere... Perhaps you are expecting a small size screen as standard and your scalers are working to that which would explain the doubles and messed up gfx as some parts may be working and other parts may not...

I dunno, just a suggestion on what to look for..
If you want someone to test betas on the phone for you I'm willing and have most nights free to test :)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I think the biggest reason is that the E90 has two screens, which is the first symbian device to have (two symbian displays). Clearing should be done by the OS, I'm only allocating a bitmap buffer, blitting that to the screen (with DSA). The device should handle switching bitmap context much better I think.

And well.. all the code for the rendering is in SDL not in ScummVM (can't blame scummvm for that).
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

Yes, I do see your point... I guess there's some special handler for it on the E90?
Almost like you're blitting to the display buffer of the outer screen and the phone's trying to (not very well) display it on the inner screen...

If only there was a way to see what was going on behind the scenes on the phone...

Oh.. Thx for doing the symbian port though, was playing Monkey Island during a meeting at work that I wasn't interested in lol ;)
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

Oh yah... as a side note, your Duke3D port does the same thing on the E90...

However, C2Doom S60v3 (can't remember who ported that one) which uses SDL (although I think a different version from what u use) does it alright, but it doesn't scale the screen large enough... Maybe something to look into?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

I can have a look at the c2doom SDL port, but since that is only for S60 devices (and perhaps S80) and missing some other functionality I have to do a merge.

So all screenhandling is in the SDL part (same for Duke3d and ScummVM)

There is an event when screendevice changes, if I reinitate when this happens, it might work better. I checked the C2Doom SDL source, and the screenhandling is somewhat handling, actually the whole SDL integration is very different. But atleast I'm not conflictling with that SDL implementation.
BinoX

Post by BinoX »

Hopefully making the screenmode switch check will fix it :)

Thanks for looking into it though, sorry I can't be much help.

But if you do need someone to test stuff on a real E90 I'm quite happy to try stuff out and report back :)
Hazze

Post by Hazze »

dirkie_de wrote:Hi!!

I really have problems to install vscumm on my E90. It always detects a certification problem - what does it mean? And which version of vscumm you are using??

Thanks for help!!

Dirk
Hello all, i've got the same problem! I have tried to change to date to last year, but this won't help. I can't find an option on the phone to switch certification off???

Can anyone help?
Hazze

Post by Hazze »

I found the solution, thanks anyway ;)

If you get certificate error when attempting to install 3rd party software on your Nokia E90 or others S60 3rd Edition smartphone, it means that you haven't enabled installation of unsigned SIS files. Go to Tools -> App. Manager, choose Options -> Settings and set Software installation to All and Online certif. check to Off.

Just started Sam and Max. But the game is only on a small part of the screen, not fullscreen/widescreen :cry: Is there a way to change this?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

What about reading the rest of the forum or WIKI?