Feeble Files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chris

Feeble Files

Post by chris »

Hi,

I've a problem with the french 4cd release of Feeble Files.

The game is recognised by scumm 0.10 but when i try to launch it, i've a message error about a 0082.vga missing file but there are no 0082.vga file on the CDs :(

Thanks,

Chris
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Feeble Files

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chris wrote: I've a problem with the french 4cd release of Feeble Files.

The game is recognised by scumm 0.10 but when i try to launch it, i've a message error about a 0082.vga missing file but there are no 0082.vga file on the CDs :(
At least with the English 2CD version, a lot of the necessary data files are unpacked by the original installer. They're in some sort of CAB archive on the CD, I believe.
chris

Post by chris »

OK, i've find VGA files in the directory of the games, after windows installation :)

Now, i can access to the game menu but, when i choose "new game", i've another error message about a file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa.

On the first CD, i've a winasoft.smk

If i move to the feeble directory for Scumm, that's change nothing, if i rename, that's shut down Scumm when i try a new game.

I've see no mentions about DXA files here :

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... les.2C_The

What can i do ?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chris wrote: Now, i can access to the game menu but, when i choose "new game", i've another error message about a file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa.

On the first CD, i've a winasoft.smk
The .smk files are Smacker movie files which, at least for the time being, ScummVM cannot support. Smacker is a commercial product, and we're in no particular hurry to find out just how protective RAD Game Tools are about it.

As a workaround, the movies have to be converted to another format called DXA. A time-consuming process, since there are so many of them. This is mentioned briefly in the ScummVM README file, and in some more detail in the tools README file. There should be several older threads about it in this forum, as well.

Only some of these movies are absolutely necessary for the game to work (i.e. without them, the game is literally impossible to complete), but ScummVM treats them all as required anyway.

The Feeble Files is probably the hardest game to get to run in ScummVM. The Broken Sword games also use Smacker movies, but there we have permission to distribute the re-encoded movies. And there are a lot fewer of them anyway.
clem

Post by clem »

I just updated the wiki with notes regarding DXA and HD installation for Feeble Files:

chris

Post by chris »

Special format, OK but i think you must specify the files required in the list of files here :

And a method to convert SMK to DXA, if there another way to use exlusively RAD, off course, because in fact, we must pay RAD to emulate Feeble if i've correctly understand the problem ?

I've an older release of RAD Video Tools, i can play SMK files but not choose DXA in output, AVI for example but that's doesn't work, is there must only DXA format accepted ?

Last question ;) Mac & Amiga videos are in another type of format ? Because, you purpose these files on your site but not the PC files :p
clem wrote:I just updated the wiki with notes regarding DXA and HD installation for Feeble Files:

These files must be find after windows installation too because there packed in the cd :

GAME22
save.999
TABLES*
TBLLIST
clem

Post by clem »

chris wrote:And a method to convert SMK to DXA, if there another way to use exlusively RAD, off course, because in fact, we must pay RAD to emulate Feeble if i've correctly understand the problem ?
the main problem is that ScummVM is open source, and RAD won't allow open source implemenations because then nobody would pay for their libraries.
chris wrote: I've an older release of RAD Video Tools, i can play SMK files but not choose DXA in output, AVI for example but that's doesn't work, is there must only DXA format accepted ?
there's a convert_dxa tool in the scummvm-tools package/in the ScummVM windows daily builds. basically it uses the RAD tools to convert a SMK into a range of .PNG files and an audio file, then converts the PNG files to DXA and the audio file to some compressed format.
chris wrote: Last question ;) Mac & Amiga videos are in another type of format ? Because, you purpose these files on your site but not the PC files :p
yes, they already come with DXA files :)
chris

Post by chris »

OK, thanks for all your quickly answers :)

I've try last release of RAD or ScummVM tool to convert files, there many posts about that on your board too ;)
chris

Post by chris »

I've find how to make DXA files but all the SMK files are necessary for Feeble ? Because, there are 228 files and that's very long work :p

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chris wrote:I've find how to make DXA files but all the SMK files are necessary for Feeble ? Because, there are 228 files and that's very long work :p
I thought there were 229.

As I wrote earlier, ScummVM will complain if it tries to play one and can't find it. You're not guaranteed to see all of them, but the only ones that I'm aware of that aren't used in ScummVM are the disk1 through disk4 ones (which simply tell you to insert a CD). And they are very short.
doelli811

Post by doelli811 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:I thought there were 229.
I have the german 4CD version from "The Feeble Files" aka "Floyd - Es gibt noch Helden".
-> There are only 228 .smk files, too :?

Another question:
If I play 'FeebleFiles' with ScummVM, there are english subtitles if one speaks.
I didn't know at all that there were subtitles in the original version.
Why are english and not german!
chris

Post by chris »

Can i batch files for encode_dxa ? For example, i must type each filename for each dxa, i'd like a command to make all dxa in the same time like RAD who can batch 228 files in one time to extract PNG & WAV, that's possible ? ;)

I've maked a try with "winasoft" file, the first video of FF, that's work perfectly, the sound too :)

On French release, under classic installation programm, we can't have subtitles when people speak, only for description of items for example.
doelli811

Post by doelli811 »

chris wrote:Can i batch files for encode_dxa ? For example, i must type each filename for each dxa, i'd like a command to make all dxa in the same time like RAD who can batch 228 files in one time to extract PNG & WAV, that's possible ? ;)
Yes, the batch file is in the "Scumm-Tools".
Namend convert_dxa.bat and convert_dxa_one.bat !
You must only set the real path of the files in convert_dxa.bat and start it.
The batch file converts then all *.smk to *.dxa & *.ogg (oggenc needed)

Note: The tools and the .smk files must be in the same folder, otherwise it doesn't function
chris

Post by chris »

Did you sure ? I mean, convert_dxa is for extract SMK to PNG and encode_dxa is for convert PNG in XDA ?

For convert SMK to PNG and WAV, i use batch setting in RAD. For audio, Audio Catalyst batch all WAV in MP3. Now, i search just a method to batch PNG in XDA quiclky but i've already have PNG files for the moment, i'm in the final step :)
doelli811

Post by doelli811 »

chris wrote:Did you sure ? I mean, convert_dxa is for extract SMK to PNG and encode_dxa is for convert PNG in XDA ?
Yes, I'm sure :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I have do it and you can view it in the README of Scumm-Tools.
Don't think, do it :D

From Readme:
convert_dxa.bat
convert_dxa_one.bat

To ease your life we also provide batch files to autoconvert all files.
It should work with any game version.
1. Copy *.smk files from all CDs to some directory
2. Edit paths in convert_dxa.bat file.
3. Run the batch. If you set everything correct, it will be almost unattended conversion, just for several files there are no audio, and RAD Game Tools converter will ask you to press OK

That's all !