Translation tool and HOWTO?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kokos

Translation tool and HOWTO?

Post by Kokos »

Hi,

Is there any translation tool for ScummVM games (eg Monkey Island 1) and mini HOWTO?

THX a lot,
Kokos
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

you meen, like a spanish version or french version of a game?
Kokos

Post by Kokos »

PsYcO wrote:you meen, like a spanish version or french version of a game?
I just want to translate eng version of a game into polish for now.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

yeah.
you cant translate them, unless you want to edit the game data. i forget what the tool is to do such a thing, but its a very lengthy process

i meen its not like selecting a folder then the language you want, it all has to be done by hand

of course, if there's a polish version, its probably far better/easyer to find a copy than to recode all subtitles
Kokos

Post by Kokos »

Oh...

What about other scumm engine games? I heard that Monkey 3 is easier to translate.. What about others?

What about games like Goblins 2/3? What about Sierra's stuff and others?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

all have to be re-coded individually
Kokos

Post by Kokos »

PsYcO wrote:all have to be re-coded individually
Damn... I thought ScummVM solves a problem.. In my opinion it's interpreter. It takes necessary things from original code, and interprets them. So I thought it is possible to change subtitles in easy way..

But maybe this option could be illegal..

I don't understand it..

However I saw few translations made by fans for ScummVM.. It is really so hard to do that myself? What do I need? A hex editor or smth?
clem

Post by clem »

Kokos wrote:However I saw few translations made by fans for ScummVM.. It is really so hard to do that myself? What do I need? A hex editor or smth?
usually these translation teams have their own websites, you could try asking them, since these forums mainly deal with ScummVM and not with SCUMM hacking
lskovlund

Post by lskovlund »

Kokos wrote: What about Sierra's stuff and others?
Depends on what game exactly. Some versions of SCI (Sierra's engine) use a 7-bit character set which is inadequate for many languages. Later versions use a full 8-bit character set.
Regardless, the game text is stored separately from the code. The tools included with FreeSCI can extract the files, and for early versions of SCI there is SCI Studio (which can also edit resources). I don't know of any tools that can edit resources from later SCI versions, though it is without doubt possible.