ScummVM Supporting more Larry games in future?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ad_Enuff

Post by Ad_Enuff »

Does anyone know what files are required for Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards?

I looked on the ScummVM Wiki Database (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles) but it hasn't been added yet even though the driver/emulation is now 90% complete etc.

Many thanks!
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Ad_Enuff wrote:Does anyone know what files are required for Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards?
Why not copy all? that should make the game work.. And remember that it only works with the original 1st lsl, the 'remake' is SCI and not AGI, so won't work until SCI will be added (or use FreeSCI instead for the time being).
Collector

Post by Collector »

SuperDre wrote:use FreeSCI instead for the time being).
Except LSL SCI is a VGA game. This would require Gluten, which is not very usable. I don't know why anyone keeps telling others to use Free SCI, when DOSBox easily runs most SCI games. Most find it easier to use than Free SCI, anyway.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

I believe the files needed to run all AGI games are as follows:

*dir
*vol.*
object
words.tok

Apple IIgs version:
I think you may wanna hold on to the file called sierrastandard
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Why just not use FreeSCI?
Collector

Post by Collector »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Why just not use FreeSCI?
Why not just use DOSBox? LSL1 is a VGA remake. Gluten is an experimental build. Stable builds of Free SCI do not run VGA SCI games, even if you can find a pre compiled build of Gluten. I used to have a great deal of hope for Free SCI. I mean, what Sierra fan would not want a Sierra equivalent of ScummVM? But Free SCI is missing things that make ScummVM so successful. It doesn't have as strong of a commitment to portability. Most of the devs are Linux only. Too bad if you are a Windows or Mac user. Even though they have at times had Windows maintainers, Windows development has always lag behind that for Linux.

There has been so little development out of Free SCI, that it is next to dead. I do not mean to demean the devs, but I will not hold my breath for the interpreter to reach a more usable state. There are next to no DOS SCI games that do not run easily and near perfectly in DOSBox. And like ScummVM, DOSBox has a strong commitment to portability. As of .70, it even offers dynamic core for the new Macs. .71, just released, has made some changes that might eventually lead to a dynamic core for non x86 hardware, as well.

For the games supported by it, ScummVM is the way to go. For virtually any other DOS game, DOSBox should always be the first choice. Many DOS games run easier in DOSBox than they did on real DOS machines. The right tool for the right job.