Apple iPhone support

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Re: Hack hack hack hack hack.

Post by PsYcO »

clone2727 wrote:
fingolfin wrote:If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'. If I were human.
Spock from Star Trek VI when they are told to return to space dock. No brainer :wink:

But, doesn't Data say it in Star Trek: First Contact when Picard says they are going to Earth to help with the other Federation forces and says that they will be disobeying orders.
+10 points... whatever they are...
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

clone2727 wrote:But, doesn't Data say it in Star Trek: First Contact when Picard says they are going to Earth to help with the other Federation forces and says that they will be disobeying orders.
Actually, if my memory is correct, Data said "I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say 'To hell with our orders'". Not quite the same.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

dreammaster wrote:Actually, if my memory is correct, Data said "I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say 'To hell with our orders'". Not quite the same.
Well, I knew it had something to do with "hell" :wink:
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

Any word on if the recent filesystem hack of the iPhone will allow the devs to get stuck in to ScummVM iPhone?

I bet 60% of iPhone owners dream of this.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Yixian wrote:Any word on if the recent filesystem hack of the iPhone will allow the devs to get stuck in to ScummVM iPhone?

hah, already? that was quick
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Please buy an iPhone for Fingolfin first :wink:
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Yixian wrote:Any word on if the recent filesystem hack of the iPhone will allow the devs to get stuck in to ScummVM iPhone?

Very interesting. Any URL?

Edit: Found

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/another-one- ... 276723.php
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/10/ipho ... ilesystem/
http://www.iphonehacks.com/
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

There have been plenty of 3rd party apps hacked onto the iPhone now, including a NES emulator with on screen controller.

Any progress from ScummVM or are they waiting for official opening of the platform?
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

http://iphone.natetrue.com/nesapp/
http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/

Amazing! Are there more info about iPhone development?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Yixian wrote:There have been plenty of 3rd party apps hacked onto the iPhone now, including a NES emulator with on screen controller.

Any progress from ScummVM or are they waiting for official opening of the platform?
I don't know if any of the ScummVM developers even own an iPhone, so it might be more a case of waiting for someone who's ported ScummVM to it to contact us.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The legal status of an iPhone port would be highly dubious, at least for the time being. So do not expect an official iPhone port any time soon -- just like with XBox360.
paolopasseri

iPhone

Post by paolopasseri »

Why do ou say the legal status is dubious? Are the third party apps being developed ilegal?

Thanks and keep up the great work![/b]
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

The custom iPhone don't void warranty, aren't illegal and there's already a launcher out that makes it easy and safe for people to instantly install 3rd party apps.

Apple aren't helping anybody, but they're in no hurry to remove these apps, they realise that 3rd party apps is the future of the iPhone, they are just biding their time before they open the platform themselves.
stracenska

Post by stracenska »

I would make a donation to scummvm developers to get the ball rolling on this. An iphone version of scummvm would be the ideal mobile platform.
Yixian

Post by Yixian »

Apple says:
Apple takes a neutral stance - they're not going to stop anyone from writing apps, and they're not going to maliciously design software updates to break the native apps, but they're not going to care if their software updates accidentally break the native apps either.