Complete computer moron needs help!

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hellish Gnome

Complete computer moron needs help!

Post by Hellish Gnome »

OK I found out about this site and about a week ago and when I found out I could download "Beneath a Steel Sky" I was like: :shock:. My mind just popped with excitment. So I started to try and work out which things I would need to download to get it. Unfortunately, being a gnome, we're not exactly the best at computers and I found myself getting totally lost in a sea of technical words, codes and numbers. I looked at the FAQ and the Readme files but I that didn't make things much clearer. It had words like "directory", "SKY.DSK" or "extrapath" which I have not the faintest either what they mean. :(

Without really knowing what I was doing I downloaded the "Windows Installer (2.2M Win32 .exe)" as it seemed to be the main thing to download and as limited as my computer knowledge is I am aware that I have Windows :P . I installed ScummVM on my computer and that was all fine. Then I tried downloading the "Beneath a Steel Sky, SKY.CPT" file which it did, but my computer doesn't recognize the type of file and ScummVM simply denies it's existence.

Can someone kind person please give a step by step guide on which things I need to download and what I need to do in order to play "Beneath a Steel Sky" in language which someone with no knowledge of computers at all can understand? If you do I will be forever thankful! :D
spacetroll

Post by spacetroll »

It sounds like you downloaded ScummVM and the .CPT file that makes the game work... but did you download the game itself? Download the freeware CD version (recommended, as it's talkie) from the Downloads page, put that and sky.cpt in the same directory on your computer ("directory" means folder... if you haven't the faintest idea how to create a new folder, maybe recruit a friend who does to come over and help you :D ). Then, from within ScummVM select "Add Game" and direct it toward the folder you put the BASS files in. That ought to do it.

If all this is still over your head, I sincerely recommend finding someone in person who knows a little more about computers to assist you. This forum is for help with the ScummVM application, not Windows 101 :wink: .
Hellish Gnome

Post by Hellish Gnome »

Oooh I see! Thanks very much. :D If I download the freeware CD version do I need a disc to save it to or can it sit nicely on my computer? :P

Also, when you say I need to create a directory (I don't see why it isn't just called file :wink:) can it just be a regular file or do I need to do some fancy stuff to it?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Hellish Gnome wrote:Also, when you say I need to create a directory (I don't see why it isn't just called file :wink:) can it just be a regular file or do I need to do some fancy stuff to it?
Directories are also known as catalogs or folders, depending on which operating system you use. Since you're using Microsoft Windows, I guess you know them as folders.

As usual, Wikipedia has more information on the subject than you could possibly want to know. :)
Hellish Gnome

Post by Hellish Gnome »

Thanks for all your help. The game is now 8% downloaded! :D I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it works...if it doesn't, you can be sure I'll come crying back here asking why within ten minutes :wink:

I wish I was good with computers. :( They're a very useful thing to be good with...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I forgot this question...
Hellish Gnome wrote:Oooh I see! Thanks very much. :D If I download the freeware CD version do I need a disc to save it to or can it sit nicely on my computer? :P
Well, you'll need to unzip the file so ScummVM can read the files inside it. Once you've done that, there's no problem keeping everything on your hard disk. Some people mistakenly assume that the file sky.dsk (I think that's what it's called; I can't check at the moment) has to be some sort of disk image that they need to do something with, but it's just a data file that ScummVM reads while you play the game.

There's a tutorial for how to set up Flight of the Amazon Queen. Setting up Beneath a Steel Sky is not much different.
clem

Post by clem »

there's also the BASS installer, designed to make playing it as painless as possible:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... /steelsky/

I just need the occasional guinea pig to tell me if it works :)