AGS games on ScummVM

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DennisBergkamp

AGS games on ScummVM

Post by DennisBergkamp »

It would be incredibly cool if scummVM would somehow support the AGS engine. Any chance this would ever happen? My guess is NOPE, since I don't think Chris Jones will release the source of AGS.

But I just can't help thinking about running all those AGS games on my DS through scummVM 8)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

you kinda answered your own question.

but never say never.

there may be an actual official(kinda) response from the team(like the AGI thing) but if you can get him to release it then its most possible that scummvm will support it, if it fits the scope.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: AGS games on ScummVM

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DennisBergkamp wrote:It would be incredibly cool if scummVM would somehow support the AGS engine. Any chance this would ever happen? My guess is NOPE, since I don't think Chris Jones will release the source of AGS.

But I just can't help thinking about running all those AGS games on my DS through scummVM 8)
Personally, given the current circumstances, I very much doubt it. Unlike the game engines ScummVM supports, AGS still appears to be actively supported and developed, albeit as a closed source project. If AGS is to be ported to another platform it's the AGS developers, not the ScummVM developers, who will have to do it.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisBergkamp

Post by DennisBergkamp »

Q. Will you do a [Palm/BeOS/etc] port?
A. Due to me having only a limited experience with these operating systems, I will not port it to any further OS at this time. Also, due to AGS's resource requirements, it is not really practical to port it to any hand-held systems.

:(
That just about answers it...
maximus

Post by maximus »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the AGS Editor code has been open-sourced.

Just thought I'd share ... :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

It seems it's not been open sourced entirely. Reading the forum comments I'm not so sure how easy it will be to port over to other platforms.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

maximus wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the AGS Editor code has been open-sourced.
Unfortunately, as I understand it, it's the editor that's had partial source code release, and not the runtime engine. Plus, given that AGS has gone through many versions over time, we'd need the sources from every single major runtime version in order to support a ubiquitous AGS game engine.
grim107

Post by grim107 »

I remember posting on the AGS forums a few months ago asking about whether AGS can be ported to the Dreamcast. I was directed to the section of the site that explains that AGS is not open-source. I think it's worth a shot for the ScummVm developers to ask the AGS developer if they can work with him on porting the project to ScummVm.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

grim107 wrote:I think it's worth a shot for the ScummVm developers to ask the AGS developer if they can work with him on porting the project to ScummVm.
Which would mean that AGS would have to go Open Source. Which the AGS guy doesn't want.
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

Man but it would be great if AGS sometime in the future was supported. Playing 5 Days a Stranger series would be fantastic on the go on handhelds/phones!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This is the wrong place for this, really. Go and tell the AGS author, he is the one who has to decide whether AGS becomes open source or not.