Help with fullscreen on HDTV

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apanloco

Help with fullscreen on HDTV

Post by apanloco »

The problem I have is that my HDTV only has one resolution: 1360x768. If you choose 800x600, all it does is give you a small box in the middle of the screen.

The problem now is that ScummVM tries to open a new resolution, say 640x480 for MonkeyIsland3. My HDTV will show this in a small box in the middle of the screen. I can scale this 2x to 1280x960, but the HDTV will still show 1360x768, meaning the height is clipped 20%.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks,
A
cde

Post by cde »

Does your HDTV not have some hidden "upscaling" option for undersized inputs?

My only suggestion, which is an odd fix, would be to see if you can find some screen magnification tool for your PC that will let you zoom an area that is 800x600 so that it is approximately 1024x768.

The in-built scaling options will obviously not do the job, and sadly a non-fullscreen ScummVM window can't be resized.

Faststone Capture (http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm) has a zoom feature that can be set to 1.5 in the options (run the app, minimise it, right-click the tray icon, choose "Settings") and the magnifier tool is available from the tray icon too, BUT it only magnifies when the mouse is pressed.

This would get you a fairly nice 1200x900 which is still too big, and would also prevent you from interacting with the games, but it might be a thought in the right direction.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

how are you getting it on your HDTV? HDMI? from a pc/notebook?
apanloco

Post by apanloco »

Hello and thanks for your answers.

I connect my HDTV (Sony KDL-40V2000) with VGA from my HTPC computer, and there are no options at all for scaling (no options at all, actually, when connected through VGA). I use Linux so Faststone Capture wouldn't do me much good (but thanks!). I have thought of installing Compiz and such to see if the Desktop Zoom plugin could work, but havn't given it a try yet.

Nontheless, I had this problem too with the Amiga emulator (e-uae), and took the time to write code to support proper full-screen scaling with OpenGL (amongst other Media Center additions). I guess this is the way to go in ScummVM too, but the thought of doing the same thing again isn't very intriguing. However if enough people encourage me, then maybe I could hack in OpenGL scaling.

But if this could be solved in an easier way, all the better.

Thanks,
A
cde

Post by cde »

What Linux distro are you using? I use Ubuntu as well as OS X and WinXP and it has plenty of accessibility options, and X/Compiz does a much better job at scaling than Windows anyway :)
apanloco

Post by apanloco »

Cool, i'm using Gentoo for my Media Center, and havn't gotten around to installing Compiz et al. So you think the zoom functionality in Compiz could actually zoom this window and STAY zoomed while I use the mouse to play etc?

Thanks,
A
cde

Post by cde »

It's got to be worth a try, if nothing else you could post lots of feature requests and - in a few months - someone might have added a "pick region, specify zoom percentage" option!
apanloco

Post by apanloco »

Indeed it is worth a try! Thanks for the input (everyone),

/A