Is it possible to start monkey2 without subtitles?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

con-trust

Is it possible to start monkey2 without subtitles?

Post by con-trust »

Hi to the ScummVM Team and the Forum,

I need to start monkey2 without subtitles for a project we're thinking of quite some time. We want to capture the game and ADR the text for a short movie. Alright, I thought switching ScummVM to "Speech Only" could work but it doesn't... I also tried to fasten up the textspeed but the text is always visible. I want to start it with no text at all in the game but the characters have to move their libs! Can anyone help please?

greets con-trust
Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Unfortunately the display of the text is built into the SCUMM scripts that run Monkey Island 2 - since the game does not have speech, the text is always displayed.

For most of MI2, though, you should be able to crank up the text speed, then take a copy of the background (before or after the dialogue appears) and paste it over the top of the text. Although that'd be time consuming, it should solve your problem, since I can't remember anywhere which specifically requires the screen to move whilst having text displayed.

FWIW I don't know where you'd stand either with your project if you wanted to distribute it, due to copyright etc.
ssdsa

Re: Is it possible to start monkey2 without subtitles?

Post by ssdsa »

con-trust wrote:I need to start monkey2 without subtitles for a project we're thinking of quite some time. [...] I want to start it with no text at all in the game but the characters have to move their libs! Can anyone help please?
Well, maybe this option is too obvious, but I'd like to point it out anyway: ScummVM is open source, so you can simply download the source code, remove the part that actually draws the text, and compile your special version of ScummVM to suit your needs.