Well, I'm getting myself a new phone

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rapp Scallion

Well, I'm getting myself a new phone

Post by Rapp Scallion »

Just fell out of a sail boat with my phone in my pocket (Arr, the sea). It was an old phone, so no big deal. The important thing now is to get myself a really good phone. And by that, I mean a phone to play ScummVM on. I saw two different forums here. One for Nokia 770, and one for Symbian systems. I don't know if the 770 is better to play on than some of the symbian-phones or not. So if anyone knows something about this, I would really appreciate some help. And some features like being able to have cards in them to be able to store more on it, would be great. Would be nice to able to play CMI. I guess that needs a lot of memory and power...

In short, what features should I try to get to be able to scumm-games nicely? If someone has tips on phones it would be great too. Oh, and I'm not rich, so if there's any cheap phones that'll do, I'd like to know. I want 3G too. And I would like it to be quite solid.
clem

Post by clem »

afaik the Nokia 770 is not a mobile phone at all :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_770
Rapp Scallion

Post by Rapp Scallion »

Ah, that explains a lot. Is there any Symbian-mobiles that supports CMI at all?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Rapp Scallion wrote:Ah, that explains a lot. Is there any Symbian-mobiles that supports CMI at all?
is this a 'is it possible' type question or 'can it' question

afaik the sybian port doesn't include any CMI data(code) so it can't play, but when phones get more intelligent it will be possible, i guess...
Rapp Scallion

Post by Rapp Scallion »

Just wondered if there were any phones who supported it already. But I guess I have to find another one then. I'm still interested in memory card features and touchpad features, so if you know about any, I'd be glad to know. But I guess I'll be able to find what I need. Which symbian system is the best? I saw two supported in the downloads list.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Which symbian system is the best?
There's no straight answer for that. UIQ has touch screen support (NOT in the Motorola builds it don't, which makes those useless for ScummVM for now since the keymapper is STILL BROKEN in the UIQ builds) which is handier for fast play but kills the pixel-hunting part since every scrren tap equals a click, so mouse-overs are an impossibility.

The non-UIQ Symbian users have to resort to key binding controlling the cursor. This gives them access to mouse-over action at the cost of significantly reduced agility.

Second thing to keep in mind, if you're not going to ONLY play ScummVM on your phone-to-be, is that UIQ3 has a dismally low amount of software available for it, especially when compared to the theoretically-obsolete UIQ2 or to v9 (the latest variant of the "common" Symbian OS), both of which boast humongous software libraries, both in the commercial and open-source areas.
Rapp Scallion

Post by Rapp Scallion »

Thanks, I guess I'll go for the S60-version then.

I just wondered about something on this wiki site: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SymbianOS_S60

On top of the site it says: "Also as a general note, high resolution and Scumm V7 games (COMI etc) won't work for various reasons (memory and resolution)". But further down Version 2 build has SCUMMV7 listed as "No problems" on some of the phones. If they don't support CMI, it's kinda misleading, isn't it?
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Hmmm... according to this page:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCUMM/Versions

COMI is actually SCUMM v8... does that mean the error is in this line?
Also as a general note, high resolution and Scumm V7 games (COMI etc) won't work for various reasons (memory and resolution)
Rapp Scallion

Post by Rapp Scallion »

Noelemahc wrote:UIQ has touch screen support (NOT in the Motorola builds it don't, which makes those useless for ScummVM for now since the keymapper is STILL BROKEN in the UIQ builds) which is handier for fast play but kills the pixel-hunting part since every scrren tap equals a click, so mouse-overs are an impossibility.
But I don't have to use that feature, so I can play it as with the S60-version if I want?

Oh, and I can't find anything about N50 on the nokia site, even if it's listed on the S60-list. And why does some of the models have a grey background?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

But I don't have to use that feature, so I can play it as with the S60-version if I want?
You don't have to, but you will, if you get a UIQ-something phone (as I've stated before). The keymapper's REALLY and UTTERLY broken, so you simply can't assign the buttons to work as in the S60 version (and they default to not being assigned at all, at least the cursor-affecting ones). At least on Sony Ericsson phones. Ouch.

This isn't MUCH of an issue, as it only fully kills Gobliins 3 (which isn't fully supported yet in the Symbian builds anyway) and Full Throttle (as the arcade sequences such as the bike fight and the derby are extremely uncomfortable to play through), but it will detract much from the pixel-hunting experience if you're playing a particular game for the very first time.

So if you're going for a pleasanter cruise with ScummVMing, go with an S60 phone. Or wait till AnotherGuest finds a solution to the problem, though he has enough on his plate as it is, AFAIK.
schooleydoo

Post by schooleydoo »

Miss this one?

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewforum.php?f=6 :D

Worsk flawlessly on my HTC Kaiser / MDA Vario III. Phone blows everything else out of the water imo. Been using these devices for 4 years now and wouldnt consider anything else.